Backup Solution for OSX86

MacWeenie

15 posts in this topic

I found a great backup solution for backup up OSX86 partitions. It's called SuperDuper from Shirt Pocket Software (click here for SuperDuper web site). I copied my OSX86 partition directly to an external USB drive, the instructed SuperDuper to make the drive bootable. It worked great! Now if my internal Hackintosh drive dies, I simply boot up my external USB drive and SuperDuper it back to the internal drive (Click here for a procedure to boot from an external USB drive).

Other backup utilities I have tried did not work as well for me:

Clonetool Hatchery did not work because it kept hanging in the middle of the backup process.

Carbon Copy Cloner did not work well because I could not successfully boot from the backup.

SuperDuper is the way to go, so I encourage everyone to try it and preserve all that hard work creating that Hackintosh.

MacWeenie :angel:

you can also do the same thing with disk utility, using its "restore" tab.

the main advantage of superduper (paid version) is its "smart update" which will only copy changed files when you do additional backups.

many people can't boot their hackintosh from a usb drive, but you can still use superduper too. here is what i do:

backup to an external drive partition or a disk image, using superduper or disk utility. superduper can do the backup with the system running, while disk utility requires you to boot from your install dvd. if you can't boot from your usb drive, you must use disk utility to restore.

to backup/restore with disk utility, boot from your osx86 boot dvd. start up disk utility. choose the "restore" tab, and drag your source and target partitions icons to the appropriate boxes. (if you have jas 10.4.8 ppf1 & ppf2, you won't be able to drag the icons, that version of disk utility is buggy. in that case you can do it in the terminal, or get uphuck or other install disk).

on my machine (amd64) i found that if i checked the "erase before restore" box, disk utility will erase, then crash. so, best to first erase it manually, then uncheck the box and do the restore.

I will add that CopyCatX is a very fast solution also. I created an OSX boot USB thumb drive and added CopyCatX to it. It will back up my 130gb drive with 60+gb of software in only 17 minutes. It restores the backup in about 15 minutes. Ghost 12 will work well from a windows environment but it takes about 3 times as long for both processes.

I have been using SuperDuper! since 10.4.6 and it has always worked perfect. I do, however, keep a permanent (bootable) mirror of my work partition at all times instead of relying on image files. I have heard about some problems getting the "Disk Utility" to restore from images when starting it off the DVD.

The thing I like most about SuperDuper!, is the smart update feature. It's super fast!

Cheers,

hecker

The thing I like most about SuperDuper!, is the smart update feature. It's super fast!

Cheers,

hecker

Hecker, I must be doing something wrong with superduper. Everytime I've tried it, it seems to take a couple of hours to make the original backup copy. Is that normal? Is it just the incremental backups that are fast? With CopyCatX the entire disk backup only takes me 17 minutes. SuperDuper was the first thing I tried for my Mac Pro. It looks very easy to use, I'm used to fast backups (not incremental) of my Windows system with Ghost, so I started looking for the same thing for OSX. It just seems to take so long to backup and restore. Suggestions would be appreciated. Always good to have a 'backup' backup program.

Hecker, I must be doing something wrong with superduper. Everytime I've tried it, it seems to take a couple of hours to make the original backup copy. Is that normal? Is it just the incremental backups that are fast? With CopyCatX the entire disk backup only takes me 17 minutes. SuperDuper was the first thing I tried for my Mac Pro. It looks very easy to use, I'm used to fast backups (not incremental) of my Windows system with Ghost, so I started looking for the same thing for OSX. It just seems to take so long to backup and restore. Suggestions would be appreciated. Always good to have a 'backup' backup program.
It's normal when you don't use the "smart update" option (which is incremental). This is only available on the registered version, though ;)

hecker

EDIT: BJMoose, how come I can't send you a PM?

EDIT: BJMoose, how come I can't send you a PM?

One individual started flooding my PMs with a bunch of wierd stuff about 2 months ago, so I turned it off to try to discourage him. Just forgot to turn it back on. Should be working now.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Just used Paragon Rescue Kit For Mac OS X. Works great!

XxX 10.5.6 Leo Distro with Chameleon EFI

http://xxx-install-disc.blogspot.com/

i have xxx without chamelon , you have cloned on another drive attached at the machine or on external .

Iwant to try with paragon

How long is the cloning procedure form a cd .

Someone have try to boot paragon from usb key

• 1 month later...

I just finished a full reinstall after an attempt at installing usb wifi drivers ended up screwing everything up. I want to keep a bootable backup of my working install on a partition of another internal hard disk, so I made the partition and used carbon copy cloner to copy everything over. this already saved my behind by giving me a 10.6 install to boot off of after a 10.6.3 update prevented booting from the main drive. this way, i just booted from the backup and fixed kexts until it worked again.

however, i'm wondering how to keep the backup up-to-date. Currently it has a working 10.6 vanilla install. Now my main drive is updated to 10.6.4 and I want to back that up as well, and can expect further updates as they come out. I don't want to backup the whole thing every time because it will get very big after I finish installing apps and the backup partition is smaller than the main drive, so i just want to back up what I need to boot or restore the system on the main drive if it becomes unbootable.

what's the best way to do this without a full clone every time I update?

which directories are actually needed to backup? I figure /System and /Extra, right? What else?

• 1 month later...
I just finished a full reinstall after an attempt at installing usb wifi drivers ended up screwing everything up. I want to keep a bootable backup of my working install on a partition of another internal hard disk, so I made the partition and used carbon copy cloner to copy everything over. this already saved my behind by giving me a 10.6 install to boot off of after a 10.6.3 update prevented booting from the main drive. this way, i just booted from the backup and fixed kexts until it worked again.

however, i'm wondering how to keep the backup up-to-date. Currently it has a working 10.6 vanilla install. Now my main drive is updated to 10.6.4 and I want to back that up as well, and can expect further updates as they come out. I don't want to backup the whole thing every time because it will get very big after I finish installing apps and the backup partition is smaller than the main drive, so i just want to back up what I need to boot or restore the system on the main drive if it becomes unbootable.

what's the best way to do this without a full clone every time I update?

which directories are actually needed to backup? I figure /System and /Extra, right? What else?

For me the answer is COPYCATX + VolumeWorks + DISKWARRIOR

TODAY : copy a OSX 10.5.8 Ideneb system+app form a Sata drive to a ide drive , all perfect .

Chamelon two help me to find the new the drive , 1:30 hour for copy ( 120gb file )from 200 gb Sata to a 300 gb eide.

COPYCATX clone the same exactly image , the two disk now are 200 gb bootable.

After COPYCATX i suggest VolumeWorks 1.5 that enlarge and reduce the drive capacity.

But i want to try SUPERDUPER OVER COPYCATX , and try the incremental backup.

Someone have try only with superduper ? i think that the problem in superduper is when make the disk bootable , and maybe is better to uncheck the bootable option.

For me the answer is COPYCATX + VolumeWorks + DISKWARRIOR

TODAY : copy a OSX 10.5.8 Ideneb system+app form a Sata drive to a ide drive , all perfect .

Chamelon two help me to find the new the drive , 1:30 hour for copy ( 120gb file )from 200 gb Sata to a 300 gb eide.

COPYCATX clone the same exactly image , the two disk now are 200 gb bootable.

After COPYCATX i suggest VolumeWorks 1.5 that enlarge and reduce the drive capacity.

But i want to try SUPERDUPER OVER COPYCATX , and try the incremental backup.

Someone have try only with superduper ? i think that the problem in superduper is when make the disk bootable , and maybe is better to uncheck the bootable option.

Sorry i have tried Volume Works , don't work , Ipartition expand the drive perfectly.

My backup solution is copycatx +ipartition .

• 2 years later...

My solution for Tiger (Tested on 10.4.10)

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

Create a perfect bootable clone from your internal (MBR) startup disk to another

internal one using CloneTool Hatchery. Before proceed, you'll need:

The CloneTool Hatchery H1 (v1.0.9) utility installed on your Hackintosh.

SOFTWARE SETTINGS (INTERNAL)

Once formatted and mounted your second hard disk on your desktop, startup the clone utility and set it as follows:

By the Source HD side:

a-Repair Permissions.

b-Update Prebinding.

By the Clone HD side:

a-Erase Disk.

b-Bless.

c-Arch: Hackintosh

SOFTWARE SETTINGS (eSATA)

Once mounted, startup the clone utility and set it as follows:

By the Source HD side:

a-Repair Permissions.

b-Update Prebinding.