Dell Inspiron 5100 w/ Radeon Mobility 7500C

18 posts in this topic

Guys&Gals,

I've just recently gotten OSX to boot and it r0x.

Only problem is that my video card ain't 'supported'...

I had to boot into safemode and remove all the ATI* drivers from the Extensions directory.

I am used to running multiple monitors... because I'm on VGA/VESA drivers, the system doesn't realise there is another monitor connected :P

Are other people actually running the correct Radeon drivers? Or does _everyone_ have to run the generic vesa drivers?

AVIs play oo..kkk.... but I'd say with proper hardware supported they'd be great.

Is there a way I can get the proper ATI drivers to work?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Ok.. so I removed all the ATI drivers but ATIRadeon.kext, ATIRadeonDVD.bundle and another ATIRadeonGA.bundle... since these were required by the main driver...

Forcing "1024x768x24@60" I managaed to get a pretty damn garbled desktop... completely unusable...

So i think it's just having issues reading the card memory.

On boot, I also get the messages (about 6 times) VID: family specific matching fails.

I'd assume it's because it can't work out why tehre is a word "MOBILITY" in the device string...

damn i wish this would work!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Ok, the Radeon drivers are untouchable... there are no opensource drivers...

I hereby give up trying to get this card to work with its native driver... VGA will have to do.

If anyone has the knack/brains to debug the ATIRadeon.kext driver and tell me why it hates my 32MB RADEON MOBILITY 7500C then please do!

Talking to myself: Disabling MTRR gave me a blank Screen.

My PCI->AGP bus is listed in AppleI386PCI.kext....

Does this get loaded during ACPI?

MTRR doesn't get used on platform=x86pc

(I remember that disabling MTRR in Linux made X work back in the day)....

What else did we have to do back in teh day to get ATI working properly on X?

If we can mimic the changes into OSX then the thing might boot...

I just need time to reboot constantly....

[update]:

Well... screwing around with PCI IDs and 'name matching' in the AppleNDRV/ATIRadeon.bundle didn't do squat... is that where the name matching is failing? I have no idea...... I am about to give up.. again.

Hey. Just started my attempts at getting OS X up and running on my Inspiron 5100 today....pretty much ALL of today.

Anyway, this is where i've got to so far. Pretty much tried the same as you so far, moved all the ATI.kext files except for ATIRadeon.kext. The only way I can get it to boot up is in Safe Boot mode. But after it's booted it's running fine at 1024*768 in 32-bit colour, which is nice.

Getting the same "VID: Family specific matching fails" message too. What I have noticed is that when I try and just boot it normally or with -v, the display is actually there we just can't see it. When it seems to hang with the spinning circle it actually hasn't hung. It's all working....we just can't see anything. I noticed this when I booted with -v, I got a very garbled image of the login screen, and by clicking on it and putting in my password it was working away fine....I just couldn't see anything.

Bit of a bugger really, but at least it's up and running. I've got an idea which i'm going to try tomorrow. So i'll let you know how it goes. For now i'm off to bed, i've spent about 10 hours today mucking about with this to get it up and running and that's enough for one day.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain I'm trashing my install everytime i boot into my 'frozen' boot screen (when you can tell OSX is still loading and functioning in the background) and just cold restart it (holding the power button down for 6 secs...)...

I managed to get the garbled login screen once... by forcing some resolution+refreshrate... but then repeating that command got me nothing, it seems REALLY temperamental...

I'm thinking the family specific matching failing is from the token in the AppleNDRV/ATIRadeon.bundle (or similar named file in that folder) ... it has a <ke>IONameMatch</key> and then <string>ATY,*</string> in there... what is this being matched against... if I knew what it was trying to match against I could manipulate that string to fit! :( One day....

I have a really good feeling the drivers are good for ATI.. they are just being mis-matched................. ;)

[update]:

Hey... the AppleNDRV/ATi...yada.bundle or whatever it is references IOFramebuffer ... do we know where the IOFramebuffer KEXT is?

I did see something that would maybe work....but at the sametime could completely wreck your graphics card so i'm not going to try it.

If you goto the ATI site, and look up drivers, etc for MAC OS X, there is a universal ROM update for MAC Radeons, and a new driver for MAC Radeons. I'm considering trying the driver that's on the website, but that shouldn't solve anything.

But, as people elsewhere have said, one of the main problems seems to be that the actual graphics card itself has some sort of Kext file in the BIOS. Using the universal ROM update would probably put that Kext file into the BIOS of your graphics card. But, seeing as it's not an actual MAC Radeon we have it could also quite possibly kill the card.

I mean chances are a MAC Radeon card and a normal PC Radeon card are pretty much the same except for the BIOS, so the ROM update may well work but I don't feel like risking my laptop to try and find out. Hmmmm, wonder if my warranty with DELL would fix/replace my laptop if the graphics card just happened to stop working?

Personally... don't do it.

The X86 Hardware+BIOS needs a PC GFX BIOS to boot.

You'll lose your display altogether (ie. when you try to boot your laptop, you'll get nuttin because the PC BIOS wont see your graphics card).

I can't stress this enough, replacing the Radeon GFX Bios with the MAC Radeon BIOS is _NOT_ the solution!

OSX86 will be made to work with PC GFX card BIOS.

The only exception to this would be that the 'X86-Macs' that APPLE makes will have their own Motherboard OpenFirmware/BIOS which can talk to a MAC Radeon BIOS on a video card... if this is the result then we're all screwed... we'll have to start replacing our Motherboard BIOSES! and GFX Card Bioses.

Don't worry...not intending to do it. I'm going to download the new drivers that are there and have a look through them.

Although i'm now a bit distracted now, managed to get Football Manager 2005 up and running on OS X. Ran the SSE3-->SSE2 patches, and now I can run Safari, iTunes, Football Manager 2005 and it all seems pretty damn stable. So all that along with using VLC player to watch DVD rips means I can pretty much do everything I want to do on this machine. All i've really got to do now, is sort it out to use more of the partition that I installed it in and it's all fine.

Still going to have a wee look at things to try and get the 7500 working correctly but i'm not that bothered about it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ive got my 5100 booting into OS X just fine, had to delete all the ATI* extensions to get it too boot ok, my only problem is no sound at all, ive gone through the steps in the wiki guide, ive copied over the AC97 kext file and everything seems good, but i get an error on startup saying the kext file was installed improperly or not configured properly. Did any of you guys get the sound working and if so, HOW!!! please do tell! Thanx!

Hey ive got my 5100 booting into OS X just fine, had to delete all the ATI* extensions to get it too boot ok, my only problem is no sound at all, ive gone through the steps in the wiki guide, ive copied over the AC97 kext file and everything seems good, but i get an error on startup saying the kext file was installed improperly or not configured properly.  Did any of you guys get the sound working and if so, HOW!!! please do tell!  Thanx!

I got mine working after all the maxxus patches (0.4v) and boot in non safe mode .... didn't have to do anything special for AC97 ... just worked on mine.....

I have 5100 also and I used the original deadmoo img

Hey ive got my 5100 booting into OS X just fine, had to delete all the ATI* extensions to get it too boot ok, my only problem is no sound at all, ive gone through the steps in the wiki guide, ive copied over the AC97 kext file and everything seems good, but i get an error on startup saying the kext file was installed improperly or not configured properly.  Did any of you guys get the sound working and if so, HOW!!! please do tell!  Thanx!

You have to set the correct permissions, otherwise you'll get the "not properly installed" error.

Slap in the Darwin 8.01 cdrom

Go to terminal

$ cd /System/Library/Extensions

$ sudo cp -R /Volumes/Darwin8_i386/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext .

$ sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAC97Audio.kext

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAC97Audio.kext

This set the correct ownership and privileges, after which I was able to:

sudo kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext

Reboot

Now your sound should work.

I don't understand how people are having problems with AC97 sound support. After DD'ing the Deadmoo image, my 5100 would boot into safemode. I was able to boot in normal mode by typing platform=X86PC. Once I did that, sound and internet (internal Broadcam ethernet) worked perfectly. I upgraded my BIOS (from A06 TO A32) and now I can boot using platform=ACPI. I'm still trying to get WiFi working as well as QE and CI. Once someone can figure those out, this thing will be pretty legit.

I don't understand how people are having problems with AC97 sound support.  After DD'ing the Deadmoo image, my 5100 would boot into safemode.  I was able to boot in normal mode by typing platform=X86PC.  Once I did that, sound and internet (internal Broadcam ethernet) worked perfectly.  I upgraded my BIOS (from A06 TO A32) and now I can boot using platform=ACPI.  I'm still trying to get WiFi working as well as QE and CI.  Once someone can figure those out, this thing will be pretty legit.

Same here .. no probs other than WiFi

You have to set the correct permissions, otherwise you'll get the "not properly installed" error.

Slap in the Darwin 8.01 cdrom

Go to terminal

$ cd /System/Library/Extensions

$ sudo cp -R /Volumes/Darwin8_i386/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext .

$ sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAC97Audio.kext

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAC97Audio.kext

This set the correct ownership and privileges, after which I was able to:

sudo kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext

Reboot

Now your sound should work.

Fantastic, it was the permissions i have SOUND!!! wooot.. Thanks alot for quick and awesome response.

Anyone Try OpenOffice 2 for Mac yet. i cant seem to get it to work?

Has anyone made any progress on getting the wireless network working on their 5100?? im so freakin lost..

:P

What wireless chipset does it use? Only a few chipsets by ralink and broadcom will have support. Nothing else does.