Quad Boot Help

Nevadabob

33 posts in this topic

in linux it would not help cause disk0s5 is BSD style, linux style is [hs]d[abc...], in example - you have your HDD connected as PATA(regular IDE drive) to the first channel as master and you need to point 5th partition, the name will be hda5(h - regular IDE drive, a first channel master drive, 5 - 5th partition)
I'm aware of that, but... the 'rd=disk0s5' was serving as a boot flag for Darwin, to see if Darwin could boot Ubuntu. I'm quite certain i can't use 'rd=sda5' or anything of the kind as a boot flag for Darwin :P

I've tried loading up OS X with these settings in GRUB:

title Mac OS X

rootnoverify (hd0,2)

makeactive

chainloader (hd0,4) /boot/OSX/CHAIN0 +1

and all I get is "error1 Filename must be either an absolute filename or blocklist". Anyone know how to solve this? I stored the chain9 file off of the OS x dvd in a folder called osx, inside boot in my root filesystem. Can anyone see where i've gone wrong to receive this message?

I've tried loading up OS X with these settings in GRUB:

title Mac OS X

rootnoverify (hd0,2)

makeactive

chainloader (hd0,4) /boot/OSX/CHAIN0 +1

and all I get is "error1 Filename must be either an absolute filename or blocklist". Anyone know how to solve this? I stored the chain9 file off of the OS x dvd in a folder called osx, inside boot in my root filesystem. Can anyone see where i've gone wrong to receive this message?

Did you obtain the instructions for the chainloader to solve the HFS+ partition error here? My first thought is: Ubuntu is case sensitive. So, are you certain that the folder is called 'OSX' and the file 'CHAIN0', not ignoring cases? You could try simply placing chain0 in your root folder [the '/' folder], and replacing the last line in menu.lst with 'chainloader (hd0,4) /chain0 +1'

Apparently,"error1 Filename must be either an absolute filename or blocklist" is returned if a file name is requested which doesn't fit the syntax/rules listed. The syntax & rules can be found here, yet what you wrote seems to satisfy that syntax.

I've never used chain0, so i don't really know what else you could try...

Ok, i'll try renaming the chain0 file so it is lowercase and move it to the root. If that does'nt work, seeming as I don't have much on the other partitions, i'll try reformatting fresh following one of the guides on either the forum or the wiki.Same error, i'm gonna reformat and follow a guide, any reccomendations?

Ok, i'll try renaming the chain0 file so it is lowercase and move it to the root. If that does'nt work, seeming as I don't have much on the other partitions, i'll try reformatting fresh following one of the guides on either the forum or the wiki.Same error, i'm gonna reformat and follow a guide, any reccomendations?
Hmmm... that smells...

The guide i loosely based my quad install on was the quad boot guide i mentioned earlier on. But if you're only going to reinstall OSX, i don't think it'll be very useful... Anyways, best of luck again, and let's hope it works this time round!

Ok, I weighed up the pros and cons of quad boot. I have an 80gb hdd which everything was going on. I had no real need for vista seeming as xp is for games, mac for everything else, linux for fun. So i triple booted! and it's working now in grub. So thankyou ever so much for the help. Didn't manage to get Vista working but at least I got mac now!

Thankyou for your help.

Tom

*EDIT* also, how do you install a .kext? I'm trying to install nforce4sata.kext for my asus a8n sli premium.

Ok, i managed to install the satanforce4 kext and my mac sees themin the device manager. However They are not mounted and when I try to mount them in the disk utility it doesnt work. Is tere something i'm missing out?

Ok, I weighed up the pros and cons of quad boot. I have an 80gb hdd which everything was going on. I had no real need for vista seeming as xp is for games, mac for everything else, linux for fun. So i triple booted! and it's working now in grub. So thankyou ever so much for the help. Didn't manage to get Vista working but at least I got mac now!

Thankyou for your help.

Tom

*EDIT* also, how do you install a .kext? I'm trying to install nforce4sata.kext for my asus a8n sli premium.

Wise choice :mellow: The only advantage i've noticed in Vista is the nicer GUI, but with a little bit of tweaking, XP can look as good, if not better. Otherwise it eats resources, it seems...
Ok, i managed to install the satanforce4 kext and my mac sees themin the device manager. However They are not mounted and when I try to mount them in the disk utility it doesnt work. Is tere something i'm missing out?
Have you searched around on the forum? I guess you have; i'd recommed you start another thread concerning this.

Good to hear you're at least triple booting succesfully :huh: I'll most likely be ditching Vista soon as well, hehe... Why waste 15GB of hard drive space on it?