I have an SSE2 Processor and just found out!

SDRacer48

4 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have one basic question, should I upgrade my Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz HT processor that is only supports up to SSE2 for a Intel Pentium 4 3.0E GHz HT (Prescott) that supports SSE3.

My system runs effectively with the SSE2, but only posts and Xbench of about 40. I think my hard drive I have OSx86 installed on is partly to blame, but my processor maybe the main reason.

It frustrates me that it takes firefox about 6 or 7 seconds to load, the same for other programs such as thunderbird, gimp, and msn messenger. Is this normal loading time for a hackintosh, because I know it is not for a real mac?

What I am basically asking is:

Will it be worth it to spend $80 on a new processor of damn near the same specs, except for SSE3 capable and will it increase my performace and xbench significantly? Keeping in mind that I am a college student with limited financial flexibility.

Thanks in advance,

Cody

i feel your pain as i am also a college student with no money. =P though firefox usually takes that long to load on your computers first boot. cause i was thinking it was taking too long to start at first too. then i did some googling and found that it'll start up fine after the initial start from boot. though i also think you're looking for an excuse to upgrade. =P what i suggest though is to NOT upgrade. i think if you're gonna upgrade your cpu, then go bigger. go dual core. well that's if your motherboard supports it. but yeah! that's what i think. good luck on that decision!

Just buy a sse3 cpu, or one of the cheaper Core 2 Duo's. You will see a big difference in speed. And considering on a handful of people know how to make a sse2 kernel for leopard, it will give you greater compatibility in the future