what does "halted by root" mean?

16 posts in this topic

i tried to get this answered on the installation forums for like 2 weeks, but no one could give me an answer.

i have a dell dimension 8100

512 mb ram

ati radeon x1300 pro

when i try to boot off any osx 86 dvd and it goes to the blue screen b4 the installation screen and it shuts off, displaying the error message "halted by root"

does any one know what this means?

thanx

to me it sounds like it is being "haulted by root" of the disk. every file system has a root or a beginning, even cds/dvds

it maybe caused by 1 of 4 problems

1. your dvd burner is not burning the disks correctly (i recommend slowing the speed down or try a different burner)

2. your dvds are bad (maybe an old batch of dvds or a slow outdated speed maybe)

3. your dvd reader is outdated or failing (how old is a dell dimension 8100?)

4. your ide cable set up maybe wrong (make sure the hdd is set to primary master and your dvd reader is set to primary slave)

i hope that helps

good luck and ....

keep on macKIN'

Cody

thanx everyone

but i tried these dvd's on my friend's computer and they work fine.

i also tried another dvd reader, same error

but i have it configured as hdd primary master and dvd drive as secondary master. i did try last night to do the hdd master and the dvd drive as slave. i got the same error. but i cant remember if i did it as secondary though.

it was a real pain in the ass to do that b/c i dont have a long enough ide cable. i guess i could try again.

no i am not saying get a new burner, i am saying try it on a friends or a different burner and...

overtime in someones home, say if they are a smoker or like to keep their home at high heat or low cool levels it can wear on a dvd, also if you have a lot of moisture in your home (hopefully not or you have a problem) plus dvds are not fool proof, maybe it was a bad batch or an incompatiability...

the only reason i said so is because on my first install my sony dvds would not work, so i had to use memorex and on my buddies install his dvd burner was too outdated and would not burn the dvds properly

keep on macKIN'

Cody

hmmm.....lets eliminate some causes

try booting the dvd with the hdd unplugged, i know this wont get you far installation wise, but lets just see if it is the hdd giving you problems

or

try disabling your secondary ide port through bios on your motherboard (of course that is if your bios has that option)

or

remove everything that you can from your mobo, but leave your cpu, ram, hdd, and dvd drive. disconnect everything else.

i would tries these at seperate times to try to eliminate the problem and identify

also if you are running your ram dual channel (ie. you have 1GB of ram, but from 2 512MB sticks), remove one, then try to install.

good luck

the ram is RDRAM, so it must full at all times. but i did put in CRIMMS though, and same error.

ive tried all u suggested, i disabled USB, serial port, took out my USB 2.0 card and sound card. ive tried dvd drive only. Ive tried taking out the battery. EVERYTHING. nothing will work ;)

this fukking sux ;) ;)

thanx for the help though

man, that's really poo. do you have any extra hard drives sitting around you could try to put it on? 10.4.5 and 10.4.6 are the only ones(based on the wiki) that are known to work. so i'd make sure to stick to those discs for installation.