Going to be Re:Switched!

4 posts in this topic

Therefore I'm considering about MacBook or MacBook Pro, but I can't buy Pro because im poor. So I got to get a Macbook, but is it the thing that i can get along with till i get MacBook Pro?

My worries are VRAM, Screen Size and Display quality. It actually doesn't have VRAM right? Sharing VRAM with RAM... this makes me nervous. I mean, does apps act smoothly, like iTunes browsing. When you hit Browse... it will " BOOM BOOM " right? will it actually appear smoothly? And some other effects like when the Widget gets dropped... well, I wont do heavy 3d things, just web games or 2d games though.

And Screen Sieze. Max is 1280x800 if i remember right. Well I want to DTM things, does MacBook do well it, or screen would be just too small? I want your opinion.

And Display, what do you think about it. Is it great for you?

Thank you for your advice :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

sucks, no replies.

I am looking to get a macbook too. The video card doesn't really scare me too much. There are alot for sale on eBay in my opinion. You know what I think the reason is? I think when they install windows and want to play games the video chip isnt all that great in windows for windows games. Kinda like a video card in a cheap PC (HP, DELL, etc). But I am still going with it. It doesn't sound all that bad...

here is a snippet that sounds interesting... http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t575010.html

The MacBook ist an awesome piece of hardware guys. No question about it.

I bought mine just three months ago and I couldn't be happier (except for the video card, of course). It's robust, very well designed (It's the prettiest notebook I ever had) and has finally outgrown all of it's initial problems.

Plusses:

- The screen is reflective and very bright. The colors are displayed beautifully.

- The battery lasts about 6 hours when not using the DVD or graphic intensive stuff, like games or Parallels.

- It is EXTREMELY quiet. The only time I ever hear the fans running is when I use XP (bootcamp) or when I run a game.

- As of the last upgrade, the MacBook now has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU with 4MB L2 Cache instead of just 2MB.

Cons:

- The GMA950 video chip is really OK for running OSX and any application but not enough to run major games (like Doom 3). Other than that, the system is really snappy.

- The pre-installed Mat{censored}a DVD-ROM cannot be flashed to make it Region-Free. You can reset it only 5 times and then you're stuck with whatever you picked last (not a problem for me, since I watch only region-free DVDs anyway).

Let me know if you would like to have any other information on this baby. I can also post some benchmarks if you want.

You know what I think the reason is? I think when they install windows and want to play games the video chip isnt all that great in windows for windows games. Kinda like a video card in a cheap PC (HP, DELL, etc). But I am still going with it. It doesn't sound all that bad...
I assume that a lot of MacBooks are sold in Ebay because the first two generations had some really serious problems (like the cases/LCDs cracking for no reason, exploding AC adapters and decoloration. Luckily, these problems have been fixed with the latest version).

Do NOT BUY A USED MACBOOK!

Cheers,

hecker

PS: Buy 2GB of RAM if you can afford it. If you only buy 1GB, they will put two 512MB stones in it (so you'll be stuck with them if you decide to upgrade later).