Kernel panics/Crashes with heavy I/O on P965P-DS3

Randy Oo

8 posts in this topic

I have a Gigabyte P965P-DS3 mobo (with ICH8 southbridge), and I've been trying to track down crashing problems that seem to happen during heavy I/O operations. (Lightroom, Bittorrent CRC checking, Migration Assistant)

Sometimes I'll get the "You need to restart your computer" message with the different languages, but other times, the screen and cursor will just freeze. It happens consistently in the same place every time during the migration assistant, and also the same spot doing the CRC check of the bittorrent file.

I've tried a base install of 10.4.8 JaS, 10.4.9, and 10.4.10, without even loading graphics drivers. Of course, I've tried with and without graphics, audio, network drivers, nothing seems to help. It looks like the "-s" option at boot (safe boot/safe mode) was all it took. Do I need to boot in safe mode every time?

I noticed messages in the console about a disk timing out, and a device blocking the bus, I'm just wondering how to fix it now!

Thanks...

I've tried using different hard drives, IDE and SATA, and I get the same problem with both. Safe boot makes it okay, but I need audio, printing, etc too! Can anyone suggest how I can get figure which kext is causing the issue, so I can eliminate it??

I have similar problem, although the kernel panic doesn't come consistently at one point, and it doesn't necessarily happen during heavy I/O.

My machine is Asus P5B Deluxe with Intel C2D 2.13 and 4GB RAM (w/ JAS 10.4.8 + 10.4.9 + delta 10.4.10). Everything works fine, but it just goes into kernel panic from time to time randomly. Kernel panic happens especially often in Lightroom.

Where should I start to diagnose the problem?

Well, did you try "safe boot" by typing -x at the Darwin boot prompt?

I thought I'd cleared up the issue by installing 10.4.9 uphuck, it seemed totally stable. Then I ran the 10.4.10 update, and got another crash. ;)

If you haven't already, you should run Orthos overnight in Windows. If you have any errors there, it means you have a hardware issue, and there's nothing wrong with OS X.

good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Randy Oo,I did a 12-hour test in Vista with Orthos, and no problem found.The computer appears totally stable and the kernel panic problem is apparently gone with I boot into OSX86 with -x safe mode.So... what's the next step in my troubleshooting now? I heard that if the safe mode cleans up the kernel panic problem, the problem should come from a login or startup application. Is that true? Where should I start?thanks,more specifically, the kernel panic problem comes totally randomly. Sometimes it doesn't happen all day long. Sometimes it happens in the middle of surfing the web. Sometimes it just happens right after booting into OSX. One situation that consistently gives me kernel panic is when I try to rip DVD with MacTheRipper, or when I try to transcode MPEG files from DVD to DV QT with MPEG Streamclip. I found the encoding of a particular file on a DVD at MPEG Streamclip that consistently provokes a kernel panic, and I use it as a gauge to test the stability of my system.

I had this exact problem.. was RAM related in my case. After swapping RAM numerous times I discovered my system wasn't auto-detecting the correct voltage for the memory (which I jacked up to 2.1V [2.2v now as its overclocked). You can verify if this is the issue by removing all but one of your DIMMs and turning the RAM speed down.. eg: if it's 800MHz drop to 667MHz and see if problem recurs.

*EDIT: I almost always got the spinning wheel freeze, sometimes w/ slight GUI artifacting.. very rarely the "you need to restart"*

Yea, this happens to me too..

But, it doesn't do this when in Linux or Windows XP Pro... So it's an OS X thing. Mine seems to do with the USB.

For me, I'd be lucky if I can finish watching a youtube video without either safari crashing, kernal panicing, or the dreaded lockup...