The TPM Chip

bug3000

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I was thinking on some things..

Ok, Is the OSX for intel based macs dont want to boot up on a PC because of the tpm chip or is the software different system of the motherboard ? ( EFI of macs Vs. Bios of PC's )

If its the tpm, thats just a chip that generate encrypted keys, So if I buy a mac I got the encrypted keys to run the OSX ? Dont think so because the TPM Chip is ereaseable so... If you erease it you {censored}up yourself and your mac machine ? :S Dont think so...

And what the difference from a pc or mac TPM ? the hardware chip is the same ! maybe some flashed non-ereaseable keys on it ? ( If yes, gonna take a broken intel PPC and start to dissoldering lol ! )

The apple gived to developer an Intel D915GUX motherboard,ya that was just one of them with fireware edition, ya that got a 1.1 tpm chip on it, maybe that got a specific bios or specific keys flashed on the tpm ? or what the difference from a standard D915GUX motherboard ?

EDIT :

Oh and...

When we patch an osx to run on pc's ( must done from source codes ? ) we only work on the kernel ? there are no problems with other apps or the OS Loader ? and, when patching a kernel, we just remove ALL calls to the TPM chip and all fuctionally connected to it ?

Here is the chip place on the D915GUX :

asdasdzg2.png

I don't understand your mention. My thinkpad has an TPM chip, so in which case the chip will help me with osx?

As told, TPM is just a chip that, if used with appropriate software, can make secure crypted keys and use them with what you want ( software / password ).

I was thinking on if the x86 mod for pc's is removing TPM call's ( because an intel mac got it ) from the kernel, and if the apple TPM ( is always the same chip ) is flashed with some keys that are needed to setup and boot up the OSX.

When we patch a kernel to work with a standard SSE3 intel CPU what is done ? just removing all tpm calls from the source code of darwin ?

when sources are available, devs modify 'em, otherwise, most skilled ones modify the kernel binary itself. besides TPM calls EFI calls also need to be patched and cpuid calls for AMD people, also SSE3 is emulated for SSE2 people. as no TPM chip is used, encripted binaries (like the finder) need to be decripted first or an on-the-fly decriptor is made

when sources are available, devs modify 'em, otherwise, most skilled ones modify the kernel binary itself. besides TPM calls EFI calls also need to be patched and cpuid calls for AMD people, also SSE3 is emulated for SSE2 people. as no TPM chip is used, encripted binaries (like the finder) need to be decripted first or an on-the-fly decriptor is made

so what a mac have that a pc with a D915GUX dont have ? ( This one have a tpm mounted )

the problem is only the efi ?

I've heard from a friend that the big difference is macs have EFI and PC's have bios. So when pc's will have EFI maybe apple will start use the TPM chips.

So, its the EFI and the tpm make no matter because apple is not using it at the moment, thanks for the reply

@Bomb : d.i.a.f