15 posts in this topic

my install on a Shuttle SB81P

Chipset: 915G

Sound: Realtek ALC880

Nic: BCM5751

Video: GMA900

HD: SATA 120GB

DVD/CD: LG DVDRAM GSA-4012

I had to have a PS2 keyboard connected for the install, once installed was completed i was able to use the USB keyboard, quartz works and dvd recorder detected as a recorder.

Sound and Nic still need some work.

we have nearly the same configuration - only difference is hd and dvd type. :(

nice thing, this shuttle 81p, isnt it?

so, and: 'need some work' - take a look on my entries on the alc880. only one person got it to run yet. maybe you can help? how far are you?

network card: noone. i connected to the modem via usb.

do you have usb-mouse/usb-keyboard?

I have a Shuttle SB83G5 and have the same issue with sound. I've got everything else working though, except for the onboard Marvell GB-Ethernet. A cheapo Realtek NIC works great though. I tried getting this box to work with a USB Mouse and keyboard but didn't have any luck. I was rather surprised to find out that a PS/2 mouse and keyboard work great, so I just hooked it up to my KVM. ..

Cheers

Xen0n

after copying the ps2-kext i am working with ps2 mouse and keyboard (natively, i had to boot from the dvd before, then rd=disk0s1) - and surprise, surprise - then the USB connection to the Fritzbox-modem vanished. something is loaded or doing on the dvd that doesnt happen booting the hd.

i have issues with usbcdcecmdata now. anybody knows anything?

and, well, sound doesnt work. aaargh. do you got sound to work with your shuttle SB83G5? Soundchip?

I had to have a PS2 keyboard connected for the install, once installed was completed i was able to use the USB keyboard

I have the same system, and I think I'm experiencing the same problems.

How did you install? Did you just unplug the usb keyboard for the install, or was there anything else you did?

I've installed off of DVD by just inserting the new OAH750D file..

I have been looking at this the whole day, sound still not working and nic card also not working. As far as keyboards and mice, I just need a PS2 Keyboard to HIT ENTER at BOOT but after that the USB works fine.

I have also been having some problems using TRANSMAC, it seems to change something in the image that i can not revert back to, when I run a test on the image by booting up in VMWARE i get a panic screen with 'Unable to find driver for this platform:"ADP2,1"'. But since I have one working ISO image i am not worried.

no sound here, too. the nic seems to be unsupported.

a few posted on getting their alc880 to work (notebooks, after running windows before). but i didnt get it.

please post, if you got progress? i will, too.

we get this alc880 to work, somehow...

Well, I've just found myself a nic with the RTL8139 chipset, it works. now, the only 2 remaining problems is the sound, and the fact that I need to have the install disc in the drive to boot

what exactly is the way to get it to boot natively from HD? I have USB mouse and keyboard (it's even an actual Apple keyboard)

and here's a thought, USB sound.... wonder if they work?

well, at least I can play music with airtunes :(

one step further, found usb kexts: look at iousbfamily.kext in plugins.

there are even optical usb mice there.

----I have also been having some problems using TRANSMAC, it seems to change something in the --image that i can not revert back to, when I run a test on the image by booting up in VMWARE i get a panic screen with 'Unable to find driver for this platform:"ADP2,1"'. But since I have one working ISO image i am not worried.

i have exactly the same problem when i try to boot via platform=X86PC. 81p seems to be not supported :blink:

try changing the value in boot.plist (lib/preferences) to platform=ACPI

any progress on the alc880?

does it work in windows? did you look at the 2 devices in windows?

nothing new here on sound. not even a sound icon and no sound. depressing.

I thought that I had the Intel HD audio, but its AC'97 (ALC658). That must be why it's working without much effort.

after copying the ps2-kext i am working with ps2 mouse and keyboard (natively, i had to boot from the dvd before, then rd=disk0s1) - and surprise, surprise - then the USB connection to the Fritzbox-modem vanished. something is loaded or doing on the dvd that doesnt happen booting the hd.

i have issues with usbcdcecmdata now. anybody knows anything?

and, well, sound doesnt work. aaargh. do you got sound to work with your shuttle SB83G5? Soundchip?

I finally found some time to look at the AppleAC97Audio extension for the ALC880, when i load the extension using this command

kextload -v -i AppleAC97Audio.kext

this loads the extension interactively and the first thing it loads is a IOUSBFamily.kext.

Now why would it need to load USB extension? wouldn't it need to load a PCI Family extension instead.

I am going to look into this, and if any of you have time to research this as well i would appreciate.

Thanks

i think if you like to try out the ac97 driver you have to work with the intelICH-Driver (ich6) in the plugins-directory, too. but maybe its my mistake to think that?

main thing is the controller with Ven2668 Dev8086 (ICH6) that calls the 880 codec (Ven10EC Dev 0880). controller to call up the codec can be the intelhdaudiocontroller.kext from the azalia pack or the intelichdriver from the ac97 pack, right? maybe i am making errors here and thats why the thing doesnt work here.

alc880 specs clearly mention ac97 support (see at the realtek site). so, if the azalia-driver is not fully supported yet, we should also try running it with the ac97 driver?

help. this soundchip and osx make me mad. i do not want to trash one of the best audiochips today (which seems to be supported directly) and buy a simple oldfashioned dongle giving me no digital, dolby, 8 channel etc. output but a simple stereo analogue-jack.

• 3 weeks later...

i think if you like to try out the ac97 driver you have to work with the intelICH-Driver (ich6) in the plugins-directory, too. but maybe its my mistake to think that?

main thing is the controller with Ven2668 Dev8086 (ICH6) that calls the 880 codec (Ven10EC Dev 0880). controller to call up the codec can be the intelhdaudiocontroller.kext from the azalia pack or the intelichdriver from the ac97 pack, right? maybe i am making errors here and thats why the thing doesnt work here.

alc880 specs clearly mention ac97 support (see at the realtek site). so, if the azalia-driver is not fully supported yet, we should also try running it with the ac97 driver?

help. this soundchip and osx make me mad. i do not want to trash one of the best audiochips today (which seems to be supported directly) and buy a simple oldfashioned dongle giving me no digital, dolby, 8 channel etc. output but a simple stereo analogue-jack.

Ever come to any conclusions?

• 6 months later...

I'm really sorry for bringing up this old post, but since no one have answered;

I'm running on a Shuttle SB81P, GMA900, 3.2 GHz. Didn't get the NIC or sound to work, so I'd to buy a Linksys WMP54G, and WiFi works, at least.

Anyone with further comments on the conclusions? I've looked in the http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...5064&hl=alc+880 post, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks, bep0rz.