Looking to buy parts for a new computer

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am in the market to buy parts for a new computer. I have a good computer right now that still runs well, so rather than building a totally new computer, I would rather buy some new parts and transfer some other parts over from my existing machine. OSx86 has become a passion lately, so compatibility is a very high priority.

Here is a rundown of my current computer:

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-SLI

Comments: Does not work at all with Uphuck v1.4i_r2. Works with JaS 10.4.8 but no LAN or audio -- LAN successfully patched, but still no luck with audio.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz

Memory: 3 x 1 GB Mushkin Enhanced DDR2 667 (PC 5300)

Graphics Card: XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Comments: Worked out of the box with JaS 10.4.8. Got dual displays working with minor patching (Natit v0.2).

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

Comments: Haven't got this working yet either; still stuck without sound. I make music, so sound is a very high priority.

For my new computer, I intend to get a new motherboard that is hopefully more compatible with OS X than my current one. However, I would like to carry over both my processor and my memory from my current machine. I also intend to keep my graphics card (assuming that makes sense). Other than that, I'm open to pretty much any suggestions.

Mainly what I'm looking for here is a motherboard that will take my existing C2D (and hopefully also uses DDR2 667 memory), but since I make music, I may also want to look at a sound card with good OS X support. (I don't know how important sound card is to OS X's CoreAudio interface. I use Logic Express to make music so ability to have a lot loaded up for audio is important to take into consideration. I don't know whether onboard audio will cut it or not.)

I've been building a wish list on Newegg, but I just realized yesterday that I should not plan this by what looks nice, but instead by what is known to be fully compatible with OS X. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations anyone can offer! Thank you very much!

EDIT: Couple of other pieces of information that may be useful. First, price is not really an issue. As long as something will work well for me, I have no problem spending a little more on it. $200 for a motherboard is higher than I'm used to paying, but if there's a perfect motherboard for up around there please feel free to recommend it to me anyway. Second, the machine will be used to run Windows as well, if that makes any difference at all in configuration. Thanks again for any help!

Hi BJMoose! My card has two DVI ports. One DVI port leads straight to one of my monitors -- the other one is connected to a DVI-to-VGA adapter, which leads to a KVM switch that switches between my PC and my Mac mini on my second (VGA) monitor.

Okay, new question for anyone who can help me: which of the following motherboards would work best with OS X?

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P

North Bridge: Intel P35

South Bridge: Intel ICH9R

Audio: Realtek ALC889A

LAN: Realtek 8111B-GR

ASUS P5KC

South Bridge: Intel ICH9

Audio: Realtek ALC883

LAN: Attansic L1

---

Barring either of these two choices, would someone please be kind enough to recommend me a motherboard that would hopefully work as well as possible with OS X along with the following specifications? (italics means would be great but not totally necessary)

• Compatible with Core 2 Duo E6400 (quad-core capable would be nice for future upgrades)
  • Compatible with DDR2 667 memory
  • PCI-Express slot for GeForce 7600 GT
  • (FireWire/IEEE1394 if at all possible)

Thank you so much!

Okay, new question for anyone who can help me: which of the following motherboards would work best with OS X?

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P

South Bridge: Intel ICH9R

Audio: Realtek ALC889A

LAN: Realtek 8111B-GR

ASUS P5KC

South Bridge: Intel ICH9

Audio: Realtek ALC883

LAN: Attansic L1

---

Barring either of these two choices, would someone please be kind enough to recommend me a motherboard that would hopefully work as well as possible with OS X along with the following specifications? (italics means would be great but not totally necessary)

• Compatible with Core 2 Duo E6400 (quad-core capable would be nice for future upgrades)
  • Compatible with DDR2 667 memory
  • PCI-Express slot for GeForce 7600 GT
  • (FireWire/IEEE1394 if at all possible)

Thank you so much!

Hi mate, I've the gigabyte p35-ds4 and all is working smoothly, except the onboard sound... and the ICH9 is recognized as Generic AHCI but I think that the performance it's nice

Hi mate, I've the gigabyte p35-ds4 and all is working smoothly, except the onboard sound... and the ICH9 is recognized as Generic AHCI but I think that the performance it's nice

Thank you very much, that is a huge help to me! From what I have read, sound is a common nightmare, so I may just put down $50-$70 for a USB sound interface. Thanks again!

Anyone know anything else?

I have a C-media PCI Sound card (15€)... line out i'ts working nice, but input I don't know :P

The ALC889 not yet supported, but I think that is a matter of time :P

You're welcome ;)

I am something of an amateur musician and I have two external synthesizers, so input is important. I will probably just find myself a nice USB interface. Again, I really appreciate the response... been waiting for a response here as I don't know how to proceed with my new computer otherwise! Much appreciated.

Take a look at the Behringer FCA202 (www.behringer.com). It is a FW interface that is 100% CoreAudio compatible. Can be powered via FW or the included power adaptor.

It has 2 unbalanced inputs and 2 unbalanced/balanced outputs and a headphone connector on the front with a sperate volume control.

It ranges under $90 on ebay.