Java App keeps crashing

gmichels

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have OSx86 10.4.9 (uphuck's) running just fine on my SSE2 Pentium-M (just missing speedstep, but that's another story).

At the office we run an open source ERP called Compiere, whose client runs on Java (1.4). The problem is it keeps crashing a lot for me ("This application has unexpectedly quit yada yada yada"). Sometimes I can use it without glitches for a few minutes, sometimes it crashes while starting up, it's completely random.

My real objective on this hackintosh is to evaluate the Mac OS software, to see if I'm comfort with it migrating from my previous OS (Gentoo Linux). If everything goes well, I plan on replacing my current notebook with a real MacBook later this year (once Leopard is released), but I must be sure this java issue is hackintosh-only and when running the real stuff I won't have any problems.

So, is anyone here running the Compiere client on a hackintosh? Or maybe a full java app (1.4 preferably) which runs fine so I can test it here?

Thanks

Might want to try a 10.4.8 kernel first to rule that out (although typically the kernel/java issues resulted in panics)

By 10.4.8 you mean the 8.8.1 kernel? Won't I have issues with the extensions on my system? This was a clean 10.4.9 install, no 10.4.8 traces to revive.

On Jas 1.4.8 PPF1 & PPF2, i have installed Mercury messenger, it is a java app and i have no problems.

Mercury messenger website (see forum for the latest version)

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try, although I think any java app will default to java 1.5 unless 1.4 is explicitely needed. Is there a way to force an app to use java 1.4?

----

Anyway, the problems I'm facing are hackintosh-only, correct? On a real Mac, none of these would happen?

Azureus has been running fine for a while now, although it's using java 1.5. I need to find a way to force 1.4 to find out if it crashes.

Java apps have no problems on real Macs. You would be fine upgrading to a real MacBook.

I think the same, but better safe than sorry :rolleyes: