New on tiger with 600m

newonmac

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new on mac x86. I've installed 10.4.1 and maxxuss0.5c on my dell 600m. But I could not get the sound to work and the resolution is limited to 1024x768 instead of 1400x1024. Please help.

new-tiger-bee

Hey there Macheads! :D

I also have a dell 600m I'm trying to figure out the sound and possibly WiFi on.

I've got the ATI Mobility 9000 and I was wondering if there is a way to make the x86 OS recognize it. For now I'm happy with 1024, but when I look at the device, it shows :

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4c66

Revision ID: 0x0002

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I'm wondering if this is why I'm not getting the advanced graphical stylings I've heard so much about on native systems. Maybe if MAC OS was using drivers for the 9000 Radeon, it would support Quartz Extreme 3D?

As for the Audio, System profiler doesn't even see the device at all, it returns no data.

I'm looking for a way to enable the sound and WiFi would be nice too. I supposed I could also pick up an Airport USB adapter, anyone know if that works?

The Intel PROSET Wireless 2100 is what I have, as well as an SMC Elite Connect 802.11B PCMCIA card I could try.

Anyone know about using the Microsoft wireless USB mice with X86?

I know the video stuff belongs in another topic, but I'm trying to attract other 600m users.

I'm also wondering about this Maxxus patch. Alot of the things I hear it fixes, I already have working, like LAN, Safari, acceptable video.. Anyone know if this is a good step towards getting the Sound recognized?

The sound card btw is the SIGMATEL STAC 0750 AC97 integrated.

Also, my CPU is running at the full 1500MHz, I had no problems with speedstep enabled.

Any and all 600m information would delight me!

Heres how I got dual-booting with XP working flawlessly (alot easier than all the posts I read):

Blank HDD.

Install MAC OS X86 from boot DVD.

Create two partitions within the installer, size them as desired, then format the first one AF and install MAC OS X86 there...

Now, once your done with your Mac install, pop in your most disgusting Windows flavor boot CD and start the Windoze setup.

Use Windoze setup to DELETE the second partition you created with MAC, use the partition sizes to determine which is which.

Use Windoze setup to create a new partition in the newly unformatted space, and do a full NTFS format, and proceed with installing Windoze to your liking...

Now, everytime you boot, its going straight into Windows, so you have to edit your C:\boot.ini to look like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=7

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro$oft Windows XP Underacheiver" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

C:\chain0="Mac Me"

Now, hit the web and grab a copy of the file "Chain0" and copy it to your C:\ root.

Next time you boot, you'll get the standard Windows boot menu, where you can select Mac Me, and then you tell it which HDD part, then away goes Darwin and your in Mac land!

Thanks everyone, and btw, OS X86 ROX!!!

~Vesken

First off, Macgirl, I must say I think you've got one of the best avatars I've ever seen, it makes me want to go out and meet mac chicks... :poster_oops::blink:

Anyways, thats cool about the mouse, I guess if I really wanted it I could connect a serial mouse? Or would a conventional non-wireless USB mouse be better? I should try my old iMac single-button mouse first..

Ok, Macgirl, I've been searching and reading these forums for a few days now You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable people on these boards, so to you I will spill my beans.

I have tried about every single step I've found on these forums and WiKi to get at least the sound working on my Dell 600m with OS X86.

Its a Sigmatel STAC 9750 AC97 aka C-Major AC97 in Windoze.

0x808624C5

I'm running os x installed with an XP partition, dual boots fine.

I'm using your recently posted AppleAC97Audio.kext and have it copied to my /System/Library/Extensions folder.

I've made sure my permissions on AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext are good for my user account, I've tried doing chmod's with 777, 755, 644 for both kext files and the Info.plist, and I've also done everything logged in as the enabled root account. I use sudo -s when I'm logged on as me. I verified the permissions manually for each target used. I have RW.

I've edited my Info.plist with nano by adding 0x808624C5 in ALL the AC97 tags where I found similar deviceID#'s The example said to put it under an NVIDIA key, but my chipset is Intel.

Should I only be putting it in one place?

One thing I havn't gone ahead with is the maxxus patch, and I'm wondering since I'm using Darwin, do I need VMWare? I don't quite understand that, step 2 in the AC97 Wiki guide.

Anyways, the real problem I'm having is that when I execute:

cd ../../

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

.. I get an error that cannot load the kext. I run the Permissions repair utility, and try again: same thing.

I clear the cache:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

..and try to load the kext again: same error: reboot: same error after repeating entire process.

Repeated this entire process logged in as root as well: same error.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm getting frustrated and need some help.

I've tried these steps in various combinations, and with multiple reboots, and it just isn't working.

Any and all responsed greatly appreciated and looked forward to.

~Vesken

First off, Macgirl, I must say I think you've got one of the best avatars I've ever seen, it makes me want to go out and meet mac chicks... :poster_oops::blink:

Anyways, thats cool about the mouse, I guess if I really wanted it I could connect a serial mouse? Or would a conventional non-wireless USB mouse be better? I should try my old iMac single-button mouse first..

I also have a MS Wireless Mouse, if I connect to the PS2 port It works fine, even the scroll wheel, but If I connect to USB port also the horizontal scroll works.

Its a Sigmatel STAC 9750 AC97 aka C-Major AC97 in Windoze.

0x808624C5

I've made sure my permissions on AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext are good for my user account, I've tried doing chmod's with 777, 755, 644 for both kext files and the Info.plist, and I've also done everything logged in as the enabled root account. I use sudo -s when I'm logged on as me. I verified the permissions manually for each target used. I have RW.

I've edited my Info.plist with nano by adding 0x808624C5 in ALL the AC97 tags where I found similar deviceID#'s The example said to put it under an NVIDIA key, but my chipset is Intel.

Should I only be putting it in one place?

Correct prmisions are 755

As your chipset is Intel the DeviceID need to be place at the Intel ICH section not Nvidia.

One thing I havn't gone ahead with is the maxxus patch, and I'm wondering since I'm using Darwin, do I need VMWare? I don't quite understand that, step 2 in the AC97 Wiki guide.

Anyways, the real problem I'm having is that when I execute:

cd ../../

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

.. I get an error that cannot load the kext. I run the Permissions repair utility, and try again: same thing.

~Vesken

Can you copy the actual output and post it?

Also, step 2 in wiki is not a real step, is more like a note that says if you are running with VMWare use Maxxuss' kext.

• 2 weeks later...

when i got all the permissions fixed it still didn't load so i did the -t to get the diagnostics and this is what it showed...

tiger-x86:/system/library/extensions/appleac97audio.kext/contents/plugins root# kextload -t appleac97audiointelich.kext

kernel extension appleac97audiointelich.kext has problems:

Missing dependencies

{

"com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio" =

"No valid version of this dependency can be found"

}

tiger-x86:/system/library/extensions/appleac97audio.kext/contents/plugins root#

what do i need to do??