SATA + Nforce 4 = What are my options

RnO

13 posts in this topic

[ EDIT: Can I dual boot with a IDE (mac) and a SATA (win) drive?]

Hi, just have a quick question. I have the Apple.OS.X.x86.10.4.Generic.Install.DVD and it runs fine, I partitioned my SATA HD with diskpart but it is not recognized.

What are my options?

1- Are any partches/other versions available?

2- If I were to buy another HD just for MAC OS, could I dual boot still?

3- If I were to buy a HD, what would be the best option (IDE?).

4- Should I just wait as there may be a solution to come shortly (would the New DVD/ISO Patcher v1.1a for 10.4.3 Build 8F1099 help me)?

5- What is the Rosetta and would it be a better option?

6- I am SS3 and SS2 compatible, anything else I might consider?

Thanks a lot for your help, I have read numerous posts that say that there is no hope because of SATA, others b/c I have both SATA and Nforce 4 chipset on my Kn8...so close I would appreciate any help.

hf.

Edited by RnO

I counted 6 questions :)

The easiest way is probably to use an IDE drive, you must have one around. The best way however, is to get an Intel set up using 915 or 945 chipset with GMA900,950 video that will support pretty much everything. One such board is the Asus P5LD2-VM.

Thanks for the quick response, I am not planning on setting-up a totally new system, I have:

Abit Kn8 Motherboard

Ati x800 gto2

Sata 160 Maxtor

AMD 64 3200

If I can get my network card (lan from mobo), my AC97 onbard sound, and my card to function that is good enough for me.

Thanks again.

Ok will do that, I am just wondering if I can dual boot with 2 drives, one IDE and one SATA?

You can definitely do that. I have Win XP on my SATA raid array, and MacOSX on my IDE drive. I am using the boot loader from Microsoft.

See this guide: http://profit42.com/?p=2

Unfortunatey, the guy that made the site forces you to use firefox. I downloaded it just to view that site, then deleted it! :-D (Using IE7 Beta)

But that works VERY FAST and it is painless. Good luck

Edited by PeterFnet

Ok will do that, I am just wondering if I can dual boot with 2 drives, one IDE and one SATA?

As PeterFnet I also have my Win XP on RAID-SATA drives, chain0 files is in it, the Mac OS disk is on the PATA channel, I have a dual boot without any problems.

[EDIT: OK got it, installed it on IDE. works perfect expect I am need to go to my biros and change the priority of HD everytime I want to boot on diff. HD. THanks again. Now working on driver issues.]

Ok thanks PeterFNet and MacGirl that helps a lot, will go out and get and IDE and will report on my results.

Once again thanks. :poster_oops:

Edited by RnO

Well, I'm going to throw this out here while I research, but I am having problems installing an extra operating system on the IDE drive (win xp x64). I am using the chain0 boot method with NTDLR.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP "

the 0-0-0-1 is the same boot.ini file on the XP (sata only partition) drive and the XP64 (ide partition 2) drive. I'm pretty sure I fried the Mac bootloader(ide partition1) by installing the windows xp 64, but I SHOULD be able to modify my boot.ini on my SATA drive to point to the Win XP 64 parition (ide partition 2).

I would think that by modifying one of those -multi-disk-rdisk-parition #'s, i should be able to boot xp64. I'm sure I'd be able to fix the mac osx darwin boot loader also since the xp 64 install overwrote it.

Ugh, that was a long rant. Any ideas?

NOTE: The SATA Raid setup is detected by the BIOS as SCSI. Even when i use scsi(0), doesn't work

Edited by PeterFnet

Well, I'm going to throw this out here while I research, but I am having problems installing an extra operating system on the IDE drive (win xp x64). I am using the chain0 boot method with NTDLR.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP "

the 0-0-0-1 is the same boot.ini file on the XP (sata only partition) drive and the XP64 (ide partition 2) drive. I'm pretty sure I fried the Mac bootloader(ide partition1) by installing the windows xp 64, but I SHOULD be able to modify my boot.ini on my SATA drive to point to the Win XP 64 parition (ide partition 2).

I would think that by modifying one of those -multi-disk-rdisk-parition #'s, i should be able to boot xp64. I'm sure I'd be able to fix the mac osx darwin boot loader also since the xp 64 install overwrote it.

Ugh, that was a long rant. Any ideas?

NOTE: The SATA Raid setup is detected by the BIOS as SCSI. Even when i use scsi(0), doesn't work

I finally figured it out, for the most part. The sata drive cannot point to the pata drive, but the boot.ini file on the IDE drive can point to the sata drive "rdisk(1)". This is weird, but I'm over it.

Also if you install another OS on the drive of the Mac installation, it will kill the darwin bootloader (Chain0 will not work). If you do this, the only way I have found to make it work is to use grub/lilo to boot from that mac partition. Hopefully this will go to some good use since I have put my hdd through hell formatting and partitioning it many times

• 2 weeks later...