Running programes on a Mac;

11 posts in this topic

I'm currently using Windows Vista; however, I have been having thoughts about buying a Apple. The main thing I am concerned about is running the programes I have been useing and grealtly (or fairly) like.

Yes, I relize that a apple has programes compatible, but they may not be the same. What are the odds that a programe I want to use will not work? Yes I'm completely new to another O.S. :police:

A small list of such programes I am concerned about include HyperSnap 6, Notepad ++, Free Download Manager...

I suppose I could have Windows on my labtop as well, but that will add more cost over something that allready cost.

Mate, go buy yourself a MacBook. Install Tiger OSX. Install Boot Camp. Install Windows XP. Problem Solved. :P

P.S - Stay well clear of Moose, he tends to explode involuntarily at times :D

There are over 250,000 programs available for the Mac. I think there's at least an equivalent piece of software for pretty much everything in Windows.

250k may not be much, and besides, what if I don't want to replace my beloved specific software with something that I do not like as well...see what I mean.

Mate, go buy yourself a MacBook. Install Tiger OSX. Install Boot Camp. Install Windows XP. Problem Solved. :)

P.S - Stay well clear of Moose, he tends to explode involuntarily at times :(

Yes, I see. Even more money to spend :(

:P

did you read what bunta wrote? I don't think you did...YOU CAN RUN XP ON YOUR MAC, meaning if you don't like you don't like the mac equivalent you can always boot to windows...

Exactly! And you can run windows in so many ways, you should never have a problem (parallels, crossover, bootcamp, VMWare etc etc.) Worried about cost? Use your existing windows install...

Yes, I relize that a apple has programes compatible, but they may not be the same. What are the odds that a programe I want to use will not work? Yes I'm completely new to another O.S

I was thinking the same thing before I got OS X, I must say, I was really pleasantly suprised at the amount of quality software available for it. I haven't really ever wished for windows in terms of lack of software, except games.

Hope this helps!

did you read what bunta wrote? I don't think you did...YOU CAN RUN XP ON YOUR MAC, meaning if you don't like you don't like the mac equivalent you can always boot to windows...

Did you read my first post..?

I was thinking the same thing before I got OS X, I must say, I was really pleasantly suprised at the amount of quality software available for it. I haven't really ever wished for windows in terms of lack of software, except games.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it helps. I was searching software, but its hard to tell without trying it out.

Mate, go buy yourself a MacBook. Install Tiger OSX. Install Boot Camp. Install Windows XP. Problem Solved. :thumbsup_anim:

P.S - Stay well clear of Moose, he tends to explode involuntarily at times :thumbsdown_anim:

Can't...resist...must...play...along...

HOW DARE YOU SAY I EXPLODE YOU LOUSY PIECE OF {censored}!!!!!

For notepad, id recommend textmate (http://macromates.com/). It costs money but its well worth it. Also, for the screen capture utility, theres a built-in utility called Grab that will do fairly good screen captures (it also has lots of settings) but it dosent do that "text capture" that the program you use does. As for download managers, theres a couple but they all cost money.

You could always hit an apple store if there's one nearby and try some stuff out. Far as I know they have internet access so you could maybe even download demos of the aforementioned stuff and try it out.

Alternatively you could try osx86...