Install incomplete..

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded the 9a466 build off isohunt. it's a 6GB .dmg file, seems pretty legit to me.

I followed some steps to remove Xcode and all of the language packs and printer drivers from the image and burnt the resulting 3.2 GB file onto a single layer DVD-R.

This boots fine, but after backing up to my ext drive with time machine, there were either of two errors:

1) Try carefully cleaning the disc (or something) and reinstall

2) Cannot install Mac OS X (it just asks me to restart and try again)

I'm thinking the problem lies where I do a customise install, and all the languages are checked but grayed out, saying they "must be upgraded". However, these packages are not on the disc as I deleted them. The Xcode directory is not there (that's good), and the printer drivers can be unchecked (good too).

Can someone help me please?

Thanks.

What's new in Leopard is the ability to partition the disk up non-destructively in disk util so you could add two new partitions, a small one for the install disk, and one to install leopard to. Restore the disk image to your smaller partition and boot to it and install to the other partition. Then once done go back to disk util and remove the spare partition.

Only problem i see with this is that disk util might be buggy but boot camp seems to partition the disk fine (albiet only allowing two partitions) most likey using the same code.

EDIT: just realized you probably cant install boot camp on a g5 to make an initial partition to restore the disk image to... duh

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded the 9a466 build off isohunt. it's a 6GB .dmg file, seems pretty legit to me.

I followed some steps to remove Xcode and all of the language packs and printer drivers from the image and burnt the resulting 3.2 GB file onto a single layer DVD-R.

This boots fine, but after backing up to my ext drive with time machine, there were either of two errors:

1) Try carefully cleaning the disc (or something) and reinstall

2) Cannot install Mac OS X (it just asks me to restart and try again)

I'm thinking the problem lies where I do a customise install, and all the languages are checked but grayed out, saying they "must be upgraded". However, these packages are not on the disc as I deleted them. The Xcode directory is not there (that's good), and the printer drivers can be unchecked (good too).

Can someone help me please?

Thanks.

Hi,

is there a chance to see the "big cat" somewhere on a ftp server? I'am behind a firewall and have no idea how to get the .dmg from else.

Please post some hints :-)

Thanks.

Tom