Why upgrade?

SDRacer48

9 posts in this topic

I see everyone is so hyped up about upgrading all the time from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 or 10.4.10. What is the point, does the system run faster or is there added features whats up.

I can understand upgrading from say 10.4.8 to 10.5.0 Lepoard (once it is released of course) but something as tiny as a revision. Why?

It just seems like it would complicate things and make more work. I am just happy to have a fully functioning OS x86 operating system.

Thanks.

A lot of us have this as a hobby as well. Just the challenge of doing it and making it work bring fun and satisfaction.

Exactly! Upgrading brings me a lot of pleasure! It's like buying something new!

With OS X, it does very little. Sometimes it can cause problems. If you're behind NAT or a firewall, usually the security issues don't crop up anyway.

With OSX86, there are many changes. It is like an entirely new distribution for an unsupported machine. It includes new drivers, new issues, new fixes and difficulties. If something isn't working, try updating. If things are working, you can try upgrading and then downgrading if the new release isn't as flawless.

Exactly! Upgrading brings me a lot of pleasure! It's like buying something new!

Except it costs you nothing :)

I didn't feel the 10.4.8->10.4.9 update speeded things up, and i'm yet to try update to 10.4.10, but i will; it's always an entertaining challenge, it's thoroughly educational...