[HOW TO] Install, update or dual boot OSX 10.4.10

11 posts in this topic

Not to nitpick.. but if your going to post an external link in the tutorial section (would prefer you just copy the whole how-to here personally instead of making people go there) could you at least give a link to us here at insanelymac and not just to that other site?

Would at least be a nice thing to do.

where exactly do we download the files in the maze of IRC channels?

I hope that I don't insult you, but my guide clearly states:

1. Go to irc.osx86.hu and then join the #10.4.10 channel.

2. Read the topic, you’ll see an Intel and an AMD update with the old kernel, and some new kernels.

You speak better English than I do so I think you can understand that....

Hi, just finished writing the guide: http://coolblog.profit42.com/2007/06/25/os...-boot-intelamd/

Scroll down for info about updating and read from the top if you want a full new dual boot configuration.

Please take look at forum rules when you post guide here.

Forum Guidelines.

Welcome to the Genius Bar. Here's how this forum works:

1. Members are encouraged to make a guide that details something that they might have found troubling or challenging.

Chances are, if you've seen the same question asked over and over again, you should write a guide for it.

2. This is not the forum for asking questions. If you have a question about a thread that's already here, feel free to ask it.

Just don't start a thread for a specific question. Use the other forums here for that.

If you post a new thread here with a question about a problem you're having, we'll have to delete it, just to keep things clean.

3. That's it! Thanks for sharing your information with the rest of us. :unsure:

Please take look at forum rules when you post guide here.

Sorry, I don't see a problem. I'm not asking a question, I wrote a guide and I help people... (yes, I link to a guide, though if you see since when I'm registered ( Joined: 1-October 05) I'm not really a spammer that registers, spams site and goes away)

Sorry, I don't see a problem. I'm not asking a question, I wrote a guide and I help people... (yes, I link to a guide, though if you see since when I'm registered ( Joined: 1-October 05) I'm not really a spammer that registers, spams site and goes away)

Just like what rogabean said, it would be nice for you to paste here what you have written there and meanwhile if you like you can paste your url as well. No offense anyway!

i'm confused when it says

12. Press WIN+R and type ‘cmd’. And type:

bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Mac OS X” (just leave the {current} there and don’t change it)

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set [iD] PATH \chain0 (replace [iD] with you identifier: http://janschneiders.googlepages.com/idosx.gif)

at PATH do i just write "PATH" or do i write c:/?

Here's SnipinTerminator's guide :

OSX 10.4.10 / Vista dual boot (Intel/AMD)

What is this?

This guide tells you how to install OSX 10.4.10 on your Intel or AMD Windows machine, dual booting with Vista. This guide is for information purposes only.

Why is this guide better than the previous ones I found here?

This revision is written for uphucks new install DVD and I cleared up all confusion about step 12.

Read this before reading the guide:

There are only two ways to install OSX 10.4.10 legally on your Windows computer:

1. Become an Apple developer

2. You can also buy an Intel Mac (I would recommend the Mac Pro!), install Windows Vista on it using Apple's Boot Camp and remove OSX completely, so that you have a legally bought osx86 licence. This method isn't confirmed and some people say it's illegal because the EULA says that you aren't allowed to install OSX on non-Apple hardware.

This means that for most people it is ILLEGAL to install osx on their computer. If you aren't an Apple developer, leave page now. This site is in no way liable or responsible for the actions of its visitors.

IMPORTANT: DOWNLOADING OSX86 (a prepatched OSX 10.4.9 install image) IS ILLEGAL. Don't ask me where you can download OSX86, not in a comment, not by e-mail, not by phone, not by sending a telegram and not by any other way you can imagine. Just don't ask me. If you don't know it and still want it, become an Apple developer or BUY A MAC!

EVEN MORE IMPORTANT: You need a processor that supports at least SSE2 to make this work.

You can check this with a program called CPU-Z (http://cpuid.com/cpuz.php).

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

- processor that supports at least SSE2 (see above)

- prepatched OSX 10.4.9 install image (see step 1. for more info)

- Vista install DVD

- chain0 (search google, you'll find it within a few seconds)

- An internet connection to access an IRC channel (yes, this is necessary if you want to update to 10.4.10)

Got at least SSE2? Go on and install and dual boot OSX 10.4.9 and Vista on your computer (If you already have this, scroll down to the update to 10.4.10 section)!

1. Get a prepatched OSX 10.4.9 install image. Search for 'uphuck' on usenet or bittorrent for more information about this: don't ask me where you can find it!

2. Burn the image to an empty DVD recordable (+R or -R, no rewritable dvd!)

Use your favorite burn program for this (I recommend Nero Burning Rom or Alcohol 120%)

3. Create at least 6GB of unallocated space:

- Press the windows logo in the bottom left corner of you screen (assuming that you're using Windows Vista)

- Right click 'computer' and select 'manage'

- Select 'Disk Management' in the 'Computer Management' screen.

- Select a partition with at least 6GB of free space

- Right click it and hit 'shrink volume', type in the amount of space to shrink (at least 6GB) and hit 'Shrink'.

- Close all open windows.

4. Hit WINDOWS BUTTON + R and type 'diskpart' (without quotes)

5. Type in (press enter after you typed in a line):

list disk

select disk [the number of your disk]

create partition primary id=af

list partition

select partition [the number of your new osx partition]

active (if this doesn't work, try 'set active' without quotes)

6. Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer, follow the installation steps on your screen. Read everything carefully and select the right packages!

7. After finishing the installation, OSX should boot up. Play with it for a few moments and then proceed to the next step.

8. Insert your Vista install disk and press reboot. Boot up Vista's install disk.

9. After booting the install disk, click repair system and press next. Open the command window and type 'diskpart'. Then type:

list disk

select disk [the number of your disk]

list partition

select partition [the number of your windows partition]

active (if this doesn't work, try 'set active' without quotes)

10. Reboot into Windows Vista.

11. Copy chain0 to the root of the Vista partition (mostly C:/)

12. Press WIN+R and type 'cmd'. And type:

bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X" (just leave the {current} there and don't change it)

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set [iD] PATH \chain0 (replace [iD] with you identifier: http://janschneiders.googlepages.com/idosx.gif )

13. Now you can reboot your computer and you'll see a nice dual boot menu!

14. You now have a fully working OSX 10.4.9 system.

Now you've got a working 10.4.9 system, go on and update it to 10.4.10 (gotoh gave me another way to install the update, scroll down and try that one if this isn't working on your computer) !

1. Go to irc.osx86.hu and then join the #10.4.10 channel.

2. Read the topic, you'll see an Intel and an AMD update with the old kernel, and some new kernels.

3. Download the correct update (not the kernel).

4. Backup all your system kexts (system/library/extensions)

5. Run and install the update, read the enclosed readme if it's there.

6. Go back to the IRC channel and look if there's a kernel suitable for your computer available there. If it is, go on to the next step, otherwise skip to the last step.

7. Download the correct kernel. Backup /mach_kernel. Rename the downloaded kernel to mach_kernel and place it in / (replace the old mach_kernel).

You can also do this through the teminal:

- Open the terminal in the utilities folder.

- type: cd /

- type: sudo mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_bak

- rename the new kernel to mach_kernel and copy paste it in the / folder (root of the partition)

- type: sudo chown -R root:wheel mach_kernel ; sudo chmod -R 755 mach_kernel

- reboot.

8. Start disk utility and repair the permissions of your OSX partition.

9. restart your computer.

10. Pray.

11. Go to this page for tips about making OSX faster and changing the resolution. If you want support, place a comment, ask your question on irc.hackint0sh.org or register at hackint0sh.org and post a topic with your question.

12. Got everything working? Please post a comment with your success story!

The other way (thanks to gotoh):

[works fine as long as your hardware don't require specific patched extensions]

1. Backup all your system kexts (system/library/extensions)

2. Download and install the official Apple combo update DO NOT REBOOT your computer afterwards

3. Replace the kernel with the patched kernel from IRC (see step 7. above)

4. Install r3d3.kext in extensions (IRC for info aboutgetting this kext).

5. Replace AppleSMBios.kext with the one you backed up.

6. Type the following lines in a terminal window:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

7. Reboot.

8. Pray

9. If some things are not working, replace the kexts with the ones from 10.4.9.

10. Go to this page for tips about making OSX faster and changing the resolution. If you want support, place a comment, ask your question on irc.osx86.hu or register at hackint0sh.org and post a topic with your question.

11. Got everything working? Please post a comment with your success story!