OSx86 installed, having trouble booting "login window started"

fannot

5 posts in this topic

I am having trouble booting into OSx86, I installed onto my WD Passport USB drive, I followed a tutorial on how to install on USB drives and boot from it, so far, it seems like the booting to the USB drive works, I do get into the OSx86 boot process, but it hangs with the last line from the "-v" diganostic, something like "Login Window Application started". I did some research and found that I might have to remove some .kext files because I have an ATI video card. Oh, BTW, my computer specs are listed below just in case.

Dell Inspiron 1501

AMD Turion64 X2 1.6 GHz

1GB of RAM

ATI Radeon Xpress1150

Hitachi SATA 120 GB HDD OS's Installed: Windows Vista and Ubuntu

WD Passport 160 GB USB External OS Installed: OSx86

I tried getting into my MAC volume and removing the ATI .kexts by crawling through Ubuntu (since I can't do it from Vista), but Ubuntu won't allow it because the drive is read only protected. I really just need to know where to go from here, I am really trying to get OSx86 to work as this is probably the 10th time I have installed and tried to boot, and still no luck. I have been trying to get this to work on my desktop for the last 6 months and just gave up and now that I have a different computer that actually gets into the booting process, I have never been closer.

Thanks so much to anyone in advance who can help me! :hbd:

So long post, so little info. How you people manage to do that???

1. You are running an AMD machine. LoginWindow and its patches run only on Intel machines. Just skip them the next time you install OS X.

2. It's a good idea to tell me what distribution u are using. JaS? UpHuck? TUBGIRL? I am not a psychic.

3. Does your CPU support both SSE2 and SSE3 instructions?

4. What patches did you choose to install while installing OS X? Sometimes installing incorrect patches could mess your installation.

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I am using 10.4.8 by JaS, and the patches that I installed were ATI support and the AMD SSE2 and SSE3 VIA kexts. I installed HP Printer Drivers in addition the the LoginWindow patch, but I don't recall seeing something about intel with the login window patch. Perhaps I will re-install

Yes, try reinstalling with only the needed kernel, patch, etc. Only choose ONE kernel. And to edit your mac partition in Vista, google the program MacDrive and use that to read/write your OS X partition.

Okay, that is all done, I have successfully booted into OSX, but I have another problem, I have no sound whatsoever and no internet, it cannot automatically configure network settings, what am I to do? I already tried a Broadcom driver as I believe that is my ethernet controller (I'll have to double check) and installed it and patched it and so on and what not into the .kext files and still no luck. Also, what about sound? My Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop has a SigmaTel Audio Codec which it uses in Windows Vista. I do recall seeing a patch in the install disk, but I believe I checked it.