OSx86 Pre-Install Requirements - Plz help

collar

6 posts in this topic

Dear Friends,

Here's my set-up:

-AMD Athlon 64x 4400+ Dual Core (Supports SSE,SSE2,SSE3..)

-Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 Ultra Rev.2 (nForce4 Ultra Chipset)

-ATI X1800GTO (PowerColor)

-NEC DvD Burner ND-3570

-2GB of RAM (512 x 4)

-Western Digital 120GB IDE HD connected to SATA via IDE -->SATA Converter

I've been lurking a lot in this wonderful forum but can't seem to put my hands on something specific for my set-up and am at the same time worried I might screw up stuff beyond repairs without some sort of guidance from you gurus here... :D I will not need dual booting from the same HD since i'm dedicating this one to OSx86 installation only. I already have another SATA HD with Vista installed.

On a side note, I have MacDrive installed on Vista so I can partition and format the a/m mentionned HD before the installation.

Thanks very much in advance for all insights and advice..

Collar

:thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Macshiba, I've read the same too..but hoping something can be worked out eventually. I did have a go last night with a JaS 10.4.8 Beta V2 I think and all went fine in the installation but after the very last restart I get a booting error etc.. and a prompt to 're-install'..I've also tried connecting the HD as a slave with my burner in IDE and installed, but still got the same error, though the installation itself went very smoothly till the end..!..:thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Jamserver, the drive was recognized (JaS Beta V2) in both connection scenarios, as SATA & IDE..the install went fine till the very end. I just couldn't get a boot after the last restart..:D

Thanks Jamserver, the drive was recognized (JaS Beta V2) in both connection scenarios, as SATA & IDE..the install went fine till the very end. I just couldn't get a boot after the last restart.. :(

Yeah, the restarting and not booting problem is because of the nForce Chipset, which really sucks. Not the chipset, I mean the fact that it's your chipset that most likely is causing the problem.

You could try going back further, and trying 10.4.6 and see if it does any different. On my laptop I can't boot 10.4.9 and 10.4.8 won't work either, but 10.4.6 works amazingly well. All I need is an Airport card or USB Wifi Adapter and it will be fully working for me.

Yeah, the restarting and not booting problem is because of the nForce Chipset, which really sucks. Not the chipset, I mean the fact that it's your chipset that most likely is causing the problem.

You could try going back further, and trying 10.4.6 and see if it does any different. On my laptop I can't boot 10.4.9 and 10.4.8 won't work either, but 10.4.6 works amazingly well. All I need is an Airport card or USB Wifi Adapter and it will be fully working for me.

yea only 10.4.7 works on my nforce chipset right now...im about to go buy an intel shuttle in an hour or two lol im sick of the hassle