JaS osx86 installs, yet does not boot

The AntiPlato

11 posts in this topic

Alright, here we go. I am trying to install jas osx86 10.4.8 natively to my Sony Vaio Vgn-n320E notebook. Everything seems to go great until I restart after the installation process and my laptop does not boot the os.

I have read around for a while trying to figure this out. I can not find any incompatibility (or campatibility for that matter) for my laptop, it's chipset, etc.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

Could it be the dual core processor? (I would expect the os to boot, and then error is this were the case) The sata hard drive? Something to do with it's formatting?

Also, only 111 gigs of my 120 gig hard drive are showing up. Before I formatted the drive I was using ubuntu with grub.

Specs, just incase there is an incompatibility that i do not know of:

Intel Core Duo T2060 1.6GHz (yes, it supports sse2 and sse3)

Intel GMA950 Graphics Card

Intel 943GML Chipset

Sata 120 gig 5400rpm Hard Drive

try rebooting then if you have the JAS dvd in. press f8 then type -v -s . then some text flies by. then type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

then you should see a fdisk: 1> then type PRINT, you will then see like partitiond and numbers. You will then select the partition IE im using partition 1. So you will Type flag 1 . then it should say partition 1 marked active. then you can quit then type reboot.

then darwin should load.

Thanks for your help guys, but no luck so far.

There is no mbr choice in the disc utility on my installer. And it says guid. Maybe I am missing something here?

Marking partition 1 active seemed to be working, yet it didnt. Same thing is happening. No error message, just wont boot.

Thanks for your help guys, but no luck so far.

There is no mbr choice in the disc utility on my installer. And it says guid. Maybe I am missing something here?

Marking partition 1 active seemed to be working, yet it didnt. Same thing is happening. No error message, just wont boot.

Ok there's your problem!

Put your Jas 10.4.8 installer disc back in and boot it up. Once it's booted and you see the menu bar at the top of the screen, click "utilities" and then select "disk utility". Once you get there select your disk not the partition on the left side and then select "partition" on the right side near the top. Go to the bottom of the window and click "options" and then choose "Master Boot Record". Hit OK. Now choose how many partitions you want and the click the partition button. Once that is done you can go to the "erase" tab and select "Mac OS Extended(Journaled)" Type a name for the drive and the click "erase". Once that is done close out disk utility and continue with the rest of the install.

You should be good to go when the install is done and time for the reboot. Make sure that the drive is set to be the boot drive in bios. Also you might want to try the new uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 install dvd. He's added extra drivers for video, wifi cards, sound, apps and multiple kernel choices. That's what I'm using right now. Granted it took me about 10 installs before I got it right. The good thing is it only takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to install.

Cheers,

Chevy

you say "doesn't boot" Is that the case or do you start to boot and get stuck in blue screen? If the later is the case do you have VGA out on your notebook? I had to short out 2 pins on my notebook to get everything to work. Apparently Apple pins out the VGA differently than PCs. In this case maybe you can disable VGA out in the BIOS. The pins are 6 & 12 which I connected with a paperclip. Worked well for me hope it's the magic bullet for you.

Chevy- it is not allowing me to click options, it is not highlighted. Thanks for your help though. Maybe you know how to get it so it's highlighted? (You seem to have pin pointed my exact problem)

I am not getting stuck at a blue screen.

Again, thanks to everyone who is helping here. I feel I am getting closer. Maybe there is a boot disc one of you know of that will format the hard drive to mac, and a mbr partition table?

If you're able to open disk utility try the "erase" option. If you can erase the hard drive you've selected you should be able to go to the "partition" choice next and format the drive with the formatting that makes OS X happy = Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If you can format you should be able to install the OS.

Good Luck

• 2 years later...
you say "doesn't boot" Is that the case or do you start to boot and get stuck in blue screen? If the later is the case do you have VGA out on your notebook? I had to short out 2 pins on my notebook to get everything to work. Apparently Apple pins out the VGA differently than PCs. In this case maybe you can disable VGA out in the BIOS. The pins are 6 & 12 which I connected with a paperclip. Worked well for me hope it's the magic bullet for you.

I have this same issue. How did you find what pins to use?