Installing the BSD Subsystem on Leopard WWDC Preview

11 posts in this topic

Well, i just received my copy of MacOS Leopard WWDC Beta Preview.

The question is how to install it. My Mac Mini G4 always hangs around at "Installing BSD Subsystem".

I googled for this error, and i found out that it is a known one.

The first thing i tried to get rid of this was to copy all the disk content to my external harddrive, replace the BSD.pkg with the one from the tiger DVD and then to install OSinstall.mpkg throughout the Tiger installation disk.

Well, at least the idea turned out to be not THAT stupid. I was able to install and even to boot up my leopard.

But, after going through the first-boot-wizard the desktop would not turn up...

I waited vor about 30minutes, rebootet several times, with and without my external firewire drive... Nothing. Verbose mode doesn't give me any abnormal messages, single user works.

My idea is to install the right BSD Subsystem via Pacifist, but how? I cannot start it from the tiger install, /sbin/lsbom is missing...

Is there any way to install .pkg files throughout the single user mode? Perhaps this will turn out to be quite usefull...

Well, i just received my copy of MacOS Leopard WWDC Beta Preview.

The question is how to install it. My Mac Mini G4 always hangs around at "Installing BSD Subsystem".

I googled for this error, and i found out that it is a known one.

The first thing i tried to get rid of this was to copy all the disk content to my external harddrive, replace the BSD.pkg with the one from the tiger DVD and then to install OSinstall.mpkg throughout the Tiger installation disk.

Well, at least the idea turned out to be not THAT stupid. I was able to install and even to boot up my leopard.

But, after going through the first-boot-wizard the desktop would not turn up...

I waited vor about 30minutes, rebootet several times, with and without my external firewire drive... Nothing. Verbose mode doesn't give me any abnormal messages, single user works.

My idea is to install the right BSD Subsystem via Pacifist, but how? I cannot start it from the tiger install, /sbin/lsbom is missing...

Is there any way to install .pkg files throughout the single user mode? Perhaps this will turn out to be quite usefull...

I think you may be able to use the pax utility from the command line - which is what Pacifist uses, but sadly I've never done it and AFAIK it's one of the hardest things to use.

Perhaps you could look around or hope it has a manpage.