Help with Kernel Panics?

frizbot

8 posts in this topic

With JaS 10.4.8 PPF1, things were stable for months, but lately kernel panics started. Permissions fine, FSCK ran on all drives, plus clearing caches etc. The maintenance didn't help. I have _no_ idea about the cause.

Re-installed without problems, but if I start getting kernel panics again, I need a way to log and troubleshoot them. How do I at least display the panic text, rather than the shutdown logo? Panic.log is a PRAM trick from PPC Macs, not x86?. Thanks for any help you can give.

Intel D945GCL +Core2Duo +GMA950

Intel 1000GT Pro Ethernet PCI

Turtle Beach Micro Soundcard USB

4GB DDR2 (not overclocked >4%, motherboard limited)

HD temperatures ~40c, CPU ~38c (passive, but I've done a good job; it's hot out)

Memtest says RAM is fine

Sorry about the bump. Surely there's a way to get the kernel panic information, to debug OS X. I've searched, and can't find out how. I'm not looking for a solution to the kernel panics; I can do that legwork myself. I just need to know the cause of why "you must shut down your computer" (eg. what kext is the problem).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, how u had resolved GMA 950 video drivers?

I'm using JaS 950 patch, but i don't have QE and CI. Only resolutions changes and monitor

identification.

Can u help me? Please

I had no problem with GMA950. It simply worked.

I used JaS' 10.4.8 PPF1 with the GMA950 driver option. You might be able to force Quartz Extreme using Quartz Debug.app from the developer tools (devtools, xcode, whatever they call it now). The board also has PCI-E 16x....and there's some BIOS options, like RAM aperture that can be played with. I think I have aperture at 256mb and "both" on for DVMT/Fixed (so there's enough RAM, but it's flexible).

GMA950 also worked with Uphuck's v.1.3. That ethernet card hard trouble though.

I suggest repairing permissions in Disk Utility, repairing the disk if there's formatting-structure corruption, and reinstalling if nothing else helps. The utility Onyx has a lot of maintenance stuff that is usually below mention, maybe it can help. You could check to make sure the drivers are installed; I talk about GMA950 drivers a bit here-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry401600

Thanks for bumping my thread anyway, I appreciate that. Still have no idea how to log or check a kernel panic on OSX86. There must be a way; developers have to debug things.

• 6 months later...

on my intel iMac, open console. go to the logs, on the side, and open /Library/Logs, and there is one called panic.log. I don't know if its there on hackintosh, but it may be....

this works on an intel iMac running 10.4.11. I don't know about hackintosh....

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
It does not. There is an alternate method. In the Darwin bootloader, type without the quotes "debug=0x100". KirbySaysHi on these forums found this trick. It will display kernel panic text onscreen.

Id love to find out if anyone knows the difference between debug=0x100 & debug=0x144