Upgrading to 10.4.9/10.4.10

spartango

12 posts in this topic

I have an existing 10.4.2 setup (based on a modified deadmoo image) and was wondering whether an apple 10.4.9/10 combo update would work on my hackintosh machine. Let me explain:

I am unable to use JaS install disks on that machine because it has no ide, and therefore, cannot boot from the DVD(the sata drive gets stuck on "waiting for root device"), and therefore am unable to get the updated os.

If unable to use combo updates as provided by apple, what are my other options?

thanks in advance.

Usually the updates from 10.4.x to the newest version are fairly involved and involve trickery to get the OS to accept the update. The ones provided from Apple do not "just work" for the OSX86 lovers out there, myself included.

Since you're updating from such an old version, I'm not entirely sure that any update trickeration would work. You may need to back up your data and applications and install the newest version. Have you tried the newest ISOs for installation? They may have improved on the install procedures and might get past your "root device not found" error.

I have an existing 10.4.2 setup (based on a modified deadmoo image) and was wondering whether an apple 10.4.9/10 combo update would work on my hackintosh machine. Let me explain:

I am unable to use JaS install disks on that machine because it has no ide, and therefore, cannot boot from the DVD(the sata drive gets stuck on "waiting for root device"), and therefore am unable to get the updated os.

If unable to use combo updates as provided by apple, what are my other options?

thanks in advance.

Spartango. Definatly don't use the combo updates directly from apple. Unless someone posts a procedure to update it. Normally that would involve backing up the kernel and extensions, install the update, DON'T reboot, replace the kernel and needed extensions, repair permissions and then reboot. But that may not work with your version because its older.

Some options. 1) goto your favorite torrent download site, do a search for Jas 10.4.9 updater. its probably a 400 or so MB file. That is a modified combo updater that Jas has done. if you want some other work arounds for installing an updated install DVD. first download the 10.4.9 Uphuck DVD. Try it. it work better becauase he added a bunch of updates and utilities. If you can get the installer going, there is an ioatafamily.kext patch in the install options the fixed the "waiting for root device" issue for me. but you may have to do many installed with diffrent options and drivers selected. No one said the hackintosh would be easy. ;)

Good luck..

would I be able to update from uphuck 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 using the apple combo updater???

See above. The apple combo updater right from apple has an apple native kernel and configuration that will break OSX86 installed boxes. This comes from the apple kernel looking for custom chipsets installed into Apple computers. Just be patient and Im sure that someone will come out with an OSx86 updater. Till then I would mark the 10.4.10 update in software update as ignored to avoid temptation. LOL

Hmm... does uphuck have any new kexts that support ich8? that my fix some stuff, cause i would love to use an install dvd on this machine(i did on others).

thx

btw,

For whatever reason, my machine refuses to recognize my osx86 HD as bootable, and wont boot off of it. I installed it using Disk Utility's "restore" function, so is that the problem, or is it the sata.

My mobo has an Intel ich8 sata raid controller.

hey guys, i tried the update to 10.4.10 via apple updater and it does NOT WORK on my benq r55 laptop!

after the install the laptop boots into the apple screen and after 4 seconds or so the laptop reboots ....

this is an endless loop until you hold down power button :-(

so please wait for the cracked update that probably will work better.

i will do so as well an in the mean time check out some vista cracks that might work :-) *laugh*

hey guys, i tried the update to 10.4.10 via apple updater and it does NOT WORK on my benq r55 laptop!

after the install the laptop boots into the apple screen and after 4 seconds or so the laptop reboots ....

i will do so as well an in the mean time check out some vista cracks that might work :-) *laugh*

Uhh, no {censored} it didn't work. You can install an Apple update on a hacked install. Why did you think it would work?

you need to backup your previous kernel (10.4.9 kernel) and APIC.kext and few .kext files. check the tutorial section. After the installation, do not restart. Force to quit. Paste back those previous kext and kernel, repair permission.. And reboot your machine.. :laser:

Uhh, no {censored} it didn't work. You can install an Apple update on a hacked install. Why did you think it would work?

Ummmmm b/c ..... b/c ummmmmmmm b/c ummmmmmm We did and we were wrong and now we get to reinstall b/c ummmmm we did and ummm yeah b/c ........ I think it is like auto pilot update must get update !!!! grog up like update must go for it. All the other updates works why not that one ....... but yeah ummm b/c

If you use Apples' Software Update to get 10.4.10 you will need to consider the following:

1) Ponder if you really need the update, you don't have a full working Mac its just a fun box you're playing with.

2) After updating the new kernel will not work because of your TPMless machine.

3) Updating and swaping kernels using 8.9.1 instead of the new one, will not break your system, but you won't enjoy the benifits of the updated functionalities in Bluetooth and USB, because that is within the kernel that you cannot use.

I have updated to 10.4.10 but I am still using 8.9.1 kernel because I cannot get the machine to boot with it.

MySpecs:

Asrock Conroe-945DVI

Intel 64MB (Bios Fixed Mode) GMA950

HD Audio (I think its ALC888)

10/100/1000 BaseT/TX

2GB DDR2 @ 667mhz

Intel Core2Duo @ 1.86mhz 2MB Cache

SATA HDD (250GB)

Superdrive Eq. (Pio DVR-110)

Intel ICH7

With Apple some video card will require some work. I have found that they don't work probably because they don't have the Apple specific bios. I understand that VGAs for both Windows and Apple are different, there is an ATI mac version and and ATI PC version. I have an Intel GMA950 64MB Onboard but only 1024x768 will work with the stock Apple drivers. I have to use the hacked ones in order to get 1280x1024 resolution.