Purchasing OS X ?'s

stussy2870

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone-

im a complete MAC noob. I've been working in IT for almost 10 years now and would like to "learn" the OS and "Try it out". I've already downloaded it, burned it and installed it on 2 seporate Dell Systems. My Primary system 8300 and secondary gx280. The GX280's NIC will not work when i install either OSX 10.4.3 and 10.4.8.

I've seen that some poeple have found "ways around" this but i would like to legitimately purchase the Software .....only if it works.

my question, will purchasing the latest OS X cure my NIC issues or are they unrelated to the OS's version ( 10.4.8 vs the latest 10.4.9)??

Hope thats not too confusing..

thanks

Paul

Hey paul and welcome.

unfortunatly Buying a copy of OSX will on increase your fustration even further. The Copy of OSX that you can buy is made only for Apple computers. There is a chip built into those macs that identify them to the installer. The versions you have downloaded have been cracked and modified to work on a large number of standard PC hardwares. Unfortunatly this is not in any way shape or form supported by Apple. It can be a hit or miss as far as finding hardware that works. As far as your NIC situation I can only say to find what kind of chip your Dell is using, you can normally get that info from dell's website and looking up your express service code. and then search the forums here and see if anyone has had luck with it. Follow thier instructions. and keep your fingers crossed.

Another work around is to buy a pci network card. again check the forums and see what people have had luck with, Also if you goto www.OSX86project.org and look at the hardware compatibility list you can find what network cards would work and what patches you will need to apply, if any.

I hope that helps. and good luck.

unfortunatly Buying a copy of OSX will on increase your fustration even further.

Can you point out where it is possible to buy os x/intel v. 10.4.9? afaik, only 10.4.6 ppc is actually available separately.

Can you point out where it is possible to buy os x/intel v. 10.4.9? afaik, only 10.4.6 ppc is actually available separately.

Proof that i am a noob :( i didnt even know that you couldnt buy an INTEL X86 copy of OSX.

Thanks for your help guys, ill keep pounding the forum looking for answers :)

Just so you know:

there is no way you can be legitimately installing, or using an OSX86 build on a PC. The License agreement for Tiger says specifically that it is to be installed only on Apple Labeled Computers(you could apply the label urself:) ).

But,

by no means stop using OSX86, i encourage to keep using it. IT's f***ing awsome. Apple has no way of catching you or suing you, so no worries.