Clicking harddrive

irri

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone elses hard drive make clicking noises when running OSX? Mine makes a click every now and then. It's a bit worrying and it happens on all 3 physical drives. It also does it when I shut down, just before powering off. Click, click, off.

It could be at least two things.

First thing is when osx puts unused hard drives in idle (sleep) mode, and you hear the heads being 'parked'. You can go in the control panel, "energy saver" section, and uncheck the "put the hard disk to sleep" box. You could also put the "put computer to sleep" slider to the right-most ("never"), since for some people "sleep mode" is problematic anyway.

Other possibility: backup your stuff, one of your hd is getting bad, the "click of death" is knocking at your door...

... but I really think it's the first explanation, imho.

(same thing for power off: the heads are being parked, although obviously not smoothly... I wonder if "real" OSX user, on "real" mac pc's, hear the same thing...)

Thanks for the reply.

I think it must be parking heads as it just did it accessing the storage drive (2 days old) to play an mp3. It does it on the other drives too and I doubt all three would go bad at once.

I've deselected the "turn off hard drives" option in power saving. Hopefully that will stop it.

my three hard drives all do the same thing, it is just as cbmkgd said, when the drives are idle, or when OS X shuts down, the heads on the driver park, which is what makes the click you hear. Its nothing to worry about :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about 'micro-waving' this thread but I reckon it makes no sense to create a new one.

I'm having the sleep hard drive problem too but unchecking the HD sleep option and system sleep 'Never' in sys prefs doesn't help. My HDs will fall asleep after about 10 minutes regardless and it takes up to 10 sec to wake them up and carry on working. Nothing threatening but sort of irritating anyway.

Any thoughts?

cheers

• 3 years later...

I opened a similar topic recently - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1704725

Sorry for necroposting here, but there's a warning about WD drives (I have one, too) - they're about to go into sleeping mode each 8 seconds, so it may be like this:

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle_Count

193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 158 158 000 Old_age Always - 127583