Installing Windows after OSX86

Moduliz0r

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I run OSX86 as my primary OS, but because I'm going to need Windows to find the hardware vendor IDs and stuff of my sound card, I'm going to need a few answers before installing it.

First one, My drive is a 250GB SATA one. Mac thinks it's a 128GB and so has filled 128GB with OS X Extended file system. Does this mean that it has left the rest of the drive unused, or has it just messed it up to fill its 128GB?

Next, if I install Windows (XP64 is what I have, shutup I know its {censored}, why do you think I stopped using it), it's going to install it's own boot loader. Will a boot loader such as GRUB work in booting back to OSX86? Or will it just create problems?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Not sure about the hard drive issue. Pop in the XP64 CD and run setup. From there, you should be able to see if there is still some space left from the OSX86 installation.

It'll install its own bootloader, but you can specify within Windows to boot to OSX86. Just copy the file "chain0" over to the main Windows drive, and specify that file in the boot.ini file. Should work just fine.

Information on the chain0 file and downloading can be found here.

Just add this line to your boot.ini file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\chain0="Mac OS x86"

Something like that should work. The large portion in front of chain0 should be the same as the information for XP64.