Making a Mac Mini 64 bit

11 posts in this topic

Well the 10.5 around the corner and the obvious lack of support for a 64 bit mac mini I guess it is time to try and make my own 64 bit. Does anyone know if these things just take the mobile processors or do they take the regular desktop processors. Also would the Core2 Extreme fit?

Let me know,

Mike

Very nice, I have a core2duo mobile laying around anyway, guess I will just throw it in.. Now those who got lucky enough to get the developer's edition of leopard, does anyone know if it will support the mac mini stuff out of box (i.e. graphics card) or has anyone had time to try it yet?

If you want 64 bit to run Leopard then it has no sense. It is no required. How often you process 4GB > picture of national Library? :) People believe that 64-bit take them out of space, but it is useful only if you make computing on very huge databases or files. 64 bit TextEdit will not make your word processing any better. There are Apple keynote on with is clearly spoken that 64 bit can even slow down app. It is only useful in special situations.

Yeah however the Operating System is going to require 64 arch. to run, that is why any mac now that is not core2duo is not going to run Leopard anyway that is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong?

BTW I did upgrade to the core2duo last night I got the T5600 (1.8ghz) and my god what a speed difference. Its hard to believe this little mac mini has so much power to it. It boots in half the time and that was on a processor upgrade alone.

Yeah however the Operating System is going to require 64 arch. to run, that is why any mac now that is not core2duo is not going to run Leopard anyway that is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong?

BTW I did upgrade to the core2duo last night I got the T5600 (1.8ghz) and my god what a speed difference. Its hard to believe this little mac mini has so much power to it. It boots in half the time and that was on a processor upgrade alone.

You are wrong :)

Even PowerPC will be able to run Leopard.

Apple is still migrating from the PowerPC architecture. G4s used to be 32bit. Keep in mind that early Intel processors were also 32bit before they jumped to Core 2 Duos.

Tiger has partial 64bit support, which turns on and off depending on if the feature is available or not. This is probably what Apple will do with Leopard. Install the proper kernel, and enable/disable 64bit support for the processor.

If I remember correctly, the primary objective of Leopard from the beginning is to work on every PowerPC/Intel machine they've built (sans the G3). From the G4 to the Intel Xeon, "it just works."

Well I went on a head and went with the upgrade anyway, Intel Core2Duo @ 1.8GHz and went to 1gb of RAM.. Man it is FAST, the speed difference is just amazing.. Just the proc upgrade alone was worth it.