Updating BIOS

6 posts in this topic

ok I know this might a noob question, and i did search the forums. but is there a way to update the bios on my mobo within mac osx? or do i NEED windows? this is gonna be troublesome because my hackintosh is mac osx only, no dual boot, i would have to install windows on another HD etc etc. please let me know thanks!

Most likely you will need windows, or some botable cd or floppy with the update. As it was not meant to run osx on common x86 hardware there will not exist any support from official sources. Of course it is possible to make your own if you have the time and knowledge.

Although some new motherboards allow flashing BIOS from Windows, the safest and most frequent method is via a dos boot disk and the appropriate software.

Obviously the Mac doesn't use normal PC floppies so you can also make bootable USB sticks and/or CDs that can contain the software you want.

You do this under Windows with VMware Fusion or Parallels. Or download one of many different bootable media with DOS. Put your CD/USB stick in with the files you need and run it as you wish.

(Just flashed my Nvidia BIOS with this on a Mac only Hackintosh)

It depends entirely on the motherboard manufacturer. It's imaginable that some manufacturers require Windows. Intel's website gives me an ISO file so I can boot to a CD etc and update the BIOS. I haven't updated yet since things work and the update only adds "Additional CPU support" (new CPUs).

Check with your motherboard manufacturer, and update your BIOS according to the options they offer.