defragmentation of OS X HDD

12 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the drive is nearly full. Even then, defragmentation isn't terribly important.

iDefrag, TechToolPro, and IIRC Diskwarrior will help, but they cost money. The system does have basic drive optimization features already included.

Next time, make a separate boot partition.

Defragmentation is generally a non-issue. If anyone knows of a free tool to use under OS X for it, something open source maybe, then it's interesting. Otherwise it isn't something to bother with paying for or pirating.

• 5 months later...

You guys are perpetuating a myth.

Download any defrag utility and look at the map of how your disk space is utilitized. Look at the list of files and how many fragments they are in. Also realize that OS X uses the worst method of memory paging it possibly could, which is by individual files that it creates and deletes as needed (Windows 98 anyone?). This means that you DO NEED an external utility to clean up the mess.

Utilities such as iDefrag, Techtool Pro, and Diskwarrior will do the trick. They will defrag files AND free space, as well as relay out the files on your drive to make for better reading.

• 4 months later...

I've tried to use iDefrag but without success - it just freezed each time I started it. After a while I read that I have to run iDefrag from a boot disk. I've dowloaded Coriolis CD Maker and create a CD with Mac OS 10.4.8 downloaded from Internet and iDefrag as well. However, I can't boot with with this CD on my Intel PC - it seems that there is no boot section on it. Could anyone help me with this issue?

Actually, what DiskWarrior does is analyze and repair the file directory, it doesn't actually move around all the different files on the drive, just updates the OS so that it knows where everything is much easier.

...but it can make a world of difference for a computer that's hurtin'! I'd definitley give DW a try, it comes with a boot disk.