New hard drive's not all there.

mooggeek

11 posts in this topic

Yesterday I picked up a 200 GB PATA hard drive. My problem is Disk Utility only sees 128 GB. Windows and Linux sees the full 200 GB, the Disk Utility in the installers for 10.4.8 JaS AMD/Intel and Uphuck 10.4.9 do not. I've tried every setting I can think of in BIOS with no luck and I can find little information on this problem in the forums. Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

Here is my setup:

mobo: ASUS m2n-sli

chipset: nForce 570

CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+

Drive: Seagate Ultra ATA/100 200gb

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here,

my HD is a Samsung Spinpoint of 250 Gb ATA but showing up as 128 Gb Kinda annoyin'!

Can anyone help us? Or has an idea where to look?

HI,

Thanks for the reply but nop I've tried this and Nothing. And I can not wipe the first drive for the moment. But I did it before Installing OSX on my first drive. And It did not change...

"Drive: Seagate Ultra ATA/100 200gb". Impossible, or a mistake in specification. It must be >ATA133 to address 200gb. It sounds like you're all hitting the limit of ATA100, whether that is in hardware (you have old motherboards) or the software/driver is mistaken. Perhaps you're all using PATA rather than SATA, and the PATA driver is confused.

"Drive: Seagate Ultra ATA/100 200gb". Impossible, or a mistake in specification. It must be >ATA133 to address 200gb. It sounds like you're all hitting the limit of ATA100, whether that is in hardware (you have old motherboards) or the software/driver is mistaken. Perhaps you're all using PATA rather than SATA, and the PATA driver is confused.

Holy {censored},

I think the problem IS definitely the ATA100 ! But my bios does not allow me to change such a thing (I think)

Does this would work http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=16457 since I have a SIS chipset...

Because I'm sick for the week end of installing/crashing my system !

I'm still looking for a way to get hardware info in detail.

• 4 weeks later...