Problems with video & USB mouse

48 posts in this topic

I just wanted to say thanks for your help. I've tried to get my D600 working, and while the resolution fix worked, the mouse fix for my Logitech MX500 mouse did not. After doing the plug in the mouse after entering single user mode, I get the mouse's laser to light up (and I get the option to edit mouse settings under the configuration panel) but it still doesn't work as far as I can tell.

I'm still pretty new to OS X :).

Ditto for my Inspiron 1100.

I'm noticing the same behaviour on a D600. I've gone into SystemProfiler both with working and non-working configurations, dumped the config to XML format and diff'd, but not come up with anything useful there.

I'm new to the Mac mentality, but not new to Unix mentality. Where to look?

I'm noticing the same behaviour on a D600.  I've gone into SystemProfiler both with working and non-working configurations, dumped the config to XML format and diff'd, but not come up with anything useful there.

I'm new to the Mac mentality, but not new to Unix mentality.  Where to look?

System Profiler shows the same thing in both situations. I was looking at the kernel extensions that are loaded during boot time, there are some differences there. Try the kext* series of commands, more specifically kextstat. Kernel extensions are stored in /System/Library/Extensions. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with Darwin/OSX inner workings myself.... :(

The problem still seems to be because of IOUSBFamily.kext but ican´t figure out why that stupid error:

Aug 24 20:28:55 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: USBF:	4285. 65	[0xc16b2800] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.
Aug 24 20:28:55 tiger-x86 kernel[0]: USBF:	4285. 65	[0xc16b2800] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

as i said before, i have the same error - after putting the ps2 kext on the system.

does anybody know how to alter the way the kexts are loaded? to put the usbio in another position in the loading mechanism?

i cant understand: if i boot from dvd then manually changing to hd, everything works. if i start from hd the same errors as above show up - the modem cant be installed, because on of the usbcdcecdm-driver is loaded after the ps2kext.

i tried to copy extensions.kextcache from dvd to harddisk, removing extensions.mkext. nothing works. i cant understand the difference between the dvd and the hd to the moment the system really starts up.

Try to delete AppleFPMemDriver.kext

I deleted this file, then USB keyboard & mouse works fine.

Hey this works on my Dell Inspiron 6000. Actually, all USB devices work now! THNX!!! ;)

btw, someone cares about explaining what the AppleFPMemDriver was for in the first place and why it messed with USB?

Try to delete AppleFPMemDriver.kext

I deleted this file, then USB keyboard & mouse works fine.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, that worked perfectly for me! Thx sooooooooo much dude. Now i got EVERYTHING working. Mouse, camera, external sotrage! I´m gonna try with the ipod. It´s amazing that just deleting/renaming that file solves the problem, i thought that it was a problem from ISUSBFamily.kext file... Thx again!

Holy {censored}! this is great!... my M$ optical mouse and BT dongle works great now!!! ... Let me try my wifi card..... or does this only affect USB devices? My wifi card is detected but not enabled like my BT USB dongle before ... Let me try and let you guys know.... this is great! If WiFi works I'm golden! :D

UPDATE: No go with the WiFi. Nevertheless this is great! Any side effects of removing this file? (i.e. Some other stuff won't work?)

this almost worked perfectly for me. my BT dongle now works. however, my audio ceased to function. would it be possible to modify AppleFPMemDriver.kext to remove whatever prevents the usb from working correctly while leaving everything else?

UPDATE: after a couple of restarts everything tends to work together now. i guess this release is just very temperamental.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Uhhh there is no AppleFPMemDriver.kext file in my extensions folder only AppleFPButton.kext ..... is this a 10.4.3 & earlier fix?

Thanks

Dre

This thread originated last summer, so I believe some of the information here might be outdated...

Sorry