How to share a full volume

dsc106

4 posts in this topic

I know this is only suppossed to be for OS X server, but I hear there is a way to enable additional sharing in OS X 10.4.9

I have an additional volume added, and I want to share all of it with read/write permission on my network, including windows PCs. How can I enable file sharing in OS X 10.4.9 for an entire volume that I can share with windows?

Thanks!

if i understand you correctly, there's a relatively simple way to do this. i used the "ln -s" command in terminal. what this will do is create a symbolic link for your other volume whether it be external or internal. open up terminal and type:

ln -s /Volumes/NAME-OF-EXTERNAL-DRIVE LINK-FOLDER-NAME

where "NAME-OF-EXTERNAL-DRIVE" is the name of whatever volume it is (doesn't have to be external), and replace "LINK-FOLDER-NAME" with the name of what you want the symbolic link's name to be in your Home directory, since that's what OSX shares. after you've typed the line, it should create a symbolic link for that volume in your Home directory, which should be visible to all other computers you're currently shared with (OSX or Windows). This should allow read/write ability. Hopefully this is what your question is about, if not, disregard this. best of luck!