Choice of graphiccard

12 posts in this topic

Hi, i need help to choose graphiccard.

The options i got are:

• Asus Extreme GeForce 7950GT 512MB DDR3
  • Asus Extreme Radeon X1950XT 256MB

Does OS X support Crossfire or SLI? Will OS X or Leopard ever support GeForce 8800?

i think that Asus Extreme GeForce 7950GT 512MB DDR3 is better chose because better hackintosh support ...

all nvidia card`s are better supported...

but wait from more comments

R

I think you should wait a couple of weeks to buy a DX10 card .....anyway thats my opinion.

Betwen those two and thinking on a hackintosh system you should pick the Nvidia card.

i know for these :

GeForce 8800 GTS/GTX

GeForce 8600GT/GTS

but for full power of that card you also need dx10card+dx10games+vista ...

R

* Asus Extreme GeForce 7950GT 512MB DDR3

* Asus Extreme Radeon X1950XT 256MB

DO NOT get a 512mb card, they are not supported on OS X. Get one with 256 mb

Does OS X support Crossfire or SLI? Will OS X or Leopard ever support GeForce 8800?

No, no, yes, possibly.

i know for these :

GeForce 8800 GTS/GTX

GeForce 8600GT/GTS

but for full power of that card you also need dx10card+dx10games+vista ...

R

I know there isnt games or apps in need of dx10 but if you buy a card now and you like gaming it has to be Dx10 so you dont have to buy another card in three months from now, besides directX10 card supports directx 9 aswell so it isnt a big deal,Ati will be shipping its cards by the end of this month and its expected a drop down on the prices ,you better wait.

The new line of macs are supporting Nvidia so with an Nvidia card it supose tha you will have more compatibility.

Thanks for all advices! So my best choice is to buy a NVIDA card with support for DX10.

But not GeForce 8800, right, cause OS X doesnt support that... or am i wrong?

does OS X support any GeForce 8xxx cards? Does all have DX10 support?

Sorry for all my stupid questions!

if you want good nvidia card and osx right now i will suggest you 7600 ...

good performance,good hackx support and good price ...

R

Technicaly Osx doesnt support directx because it uses OpenGL wich is another way to render the graphics but ...that should be no problem because Opengl runs in over the other pc cards without any problem.Besides macs can run windows with parallels/bootcamp/wmware.

Right now, there's NO support for 8x00 cards. But with the 8600GT drivers from the Santa Rosa MBPs, it'll only take a few weeks till the first 8x00 hackint0sh drivers are fully working!

but right now, at this VERY MOMENT, 8x00 suck for OS X hackint0sh, and so do all cards that have MORE than 256 Mb Vram.

EDIT, just for the record, 512mb Vram cards CAN work if you flash their ram settings, which is not really something for noobs :P So if you think you can handle it, try a 512 card ;P

nVidia GeForce 8600 rules. The best choice for a hackintosh. 100% compatibility and DX10 extreme graphics.