ATI Mobility Radeon x200M/G Success, sorta!

Tophicles

7 posts in this topic

Ok, here's some helpful hints for those struggling with the OSx86 install of an ATI radeon Mobility x200M/G video card.

This card has the following IDs in my notebook (Compaq Presario R4035CA): vendor=1002, device=5955.

Here's what I had to do under the Uphuck 10.4.9 DVD:

1) Install the OS :D

2) Copy the Callisto 003 package from the DVD to my desktop.

3) Install the Callisto 003 package, do not reboot when asked.

4) Open Terminal and type sudo-s, followed by your password.

5) In the terminal, type the following:

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Callist*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Callist*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kext cache

diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

That was it, came up in 1280X800 on reboot (after initial screen "shift"). Only downfall is still no QE, CI or OpenGL - but at least it's a nice resolution :star_smile:

Hope this helps, of course you'll also find this entry added to my side-project: OSx86 HCL Database !!

Cheers,

Tophicles

• 1 month later...

Yes works fine, i have the same video card (1002-5955), but since i'm in 1280x800, the system is a little bit slower than in 1024x768, certainly because there's no QE/CI :dice: too bad, still waiting for this driver, may be one day.... :gathering: ..i had a dream lol

I have the exact same laptop and have done this before to get OSx86 running with my Xpress 200M. The only problem I had afterwards was that my DVD-ROM drive disappeared. I'll have to give it another shot again.

I wanted to run Parallels Desktop but it can't run on an AMD system. :(

Yes works fine, i have the same video card (1002-5955), but since i'm in 1280x800, the system is a little bit slower than in 1024x768, certainly because there's no QE/CI :( too bad, still waiting for this driver, may be one day.... ;) ..i had a dream lol

look , go to osx hd >Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration>and copy com.apple.Boot.plist to your desk ...

than open it with textedit,and add txt to be like this :

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>[b]fsb=133[/b]</string>

that fsb=133 is important. than save and copy it back to folder.restart your MAChine,and it should be faster without drivers ...

i run like that,without drivers .... ;)

~R

@Rzk: My processor has a clockrate at 1800 mhz(9x200), so i add fsb=200 in kernel string's flags, and indeed, after a quick reboot, it's incredibly much faster, especially at osx boot(after the verbose boot mode), furthermore i've don't noticed (yet) a lot of changes when i load applications, anyway thanks for your tips m8 :D

I have the exact same laptop and have done this before to get OSx86 running with my Xpress 200M. The only problem I had afterwards was that my DVD-ROM drive disappeared. I'll have to give it another shot again.

I wanted to run Parallels Desktop but it can't run on an AMD system. :hysterical:

Hey Man,

Parallels 3.0 is running fine(a little sluggish) on my hp nx6125 pz895ua with a Turion64... everything works like a champ on this machine (with a ton of kext modifications) with the exception of QE. love this thing. wooo-hooo.