Hardware Upgrades

14 posts in this topic

I'm currently running on 10.4.8 on an AMD SSE2 system. OSX 10.4.8 is fine with me, I've no need for 10.4.9 unless certain apps I use requires it. On the hardware side, I'm planning to move to an intel C2D system. I've been looking through many threads about different motherboard models and brands, trying to narrow down which board is good. It seems there's no board that works perfectly out of the box with Jas/Semthex 10.4.8, either audio, SATA/IDE, LAN, or USB are not working. It's usually a scenario where "everything works except ...". So instead of looking for the perfect motherboard, is it better to just look for audio or LAN PCI-E cards that are known to work? I'm thinking of just getting an intel 945 or 965 chipset board, and making sure SATA/IDE works. For audio and LAN, if they don't work, then I'll opt for a PCI-E card that works. Is this a better way of building a fully working hackintosh? If so, is there a list somewhere of working PCI-E cards? And lastly, please recommend a motherboard with working SATA/IDE out of the box. Any ideas?

The Bad Axe 1 (Intel D975XBX) is next to perfect.

Having sound is also very easy:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=47196&hl=

The Bad Axe 2 should also be very good. Not sure about sound, have a look here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...75&hl=sound

Also, have a look at this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26508

All in all, I highly recommend the Intel mobos.

Not OSx86 related, but have a look here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122350

Edit. I found a thread for Bad Axe 2 audio support:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=Sigmatel+9227

(And BTW I have just bought a Bad Axe 2 myself from Ebay).

Thanks for the info. I didn't really want to spend $200 on a motherboard, but if it ensures the best compatibility with OSx86, then it'll be worth it. Here are the pieces I have so far just pricing it through newegg.com:

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Model #: BOXD975XBX2KR

$219.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

Model #: BX80557E6600

$222.90

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

Model #: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

$80.99

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Model #: PVT84JUDD3

$149.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Model #: ST3500630AS

$119.99

RAIDMAX AURORA RX-580F ATX12V 580Watts Power Supply - Retail

Model #: RX-580F

$54.99

LIAN LI PC-7A plus II Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Model #: PC-7A plus II

$99.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Model #: ACFZ7-PRO

$34.99

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L - OEM

Model #: SH-S183L

$38.99

Subtotal: $1,027.81

For the video card, I'm hoping that the Geforce 8 kext works well. I haven't follow the threads there, but I'm assuming the bugs will be ironed out soon. I'll multi-boot with OSx86, Ubuntu, Vista, and XP, so I want the 8600GT for DX10 support in Vista. Otherwise, I'll go for a Geforce 7600GT or 7900GT for around the same price.

What do you guys think about the system specs? If there are better parts for around the same price, please advice. Thanks.

To save money on a motherboard, try the D945GCL; Core2Duo compatible, only drawbacks are the 2 ram slots and no overclockability. The plus is that it comes with GMA950, so the videocard is instantly supported and built-in.

You've made a decent choice for CPU cooler, but look into thermalright for more silence and a way to replace dying fans. I've never heard of that PSU manufacturer, but it isn't a cheap PSU, so it should be good. The case seems overpriced, though style is personal, and you're still getting a quality case (I don't mean to get a cheap case).

I thought that osx86 had problems with SATA optical drives. You might want to consider the SH-S182M instead. Basically the same specs, and has LightScribe as well.

Thanks for that info, I'll change it to the SH-128M.

By the way, checking out your links, I got some questions and hope you don't mind answering.

Seems you have two samsung 19" screens, does that work just from the Titan/Natit kexts in the Jas 10.4.8 DVD or some other files needed? I have two viewsonics 22" screens that I like to have working.

What is that keyboard brand and model on your desk?

How is your Deals of the Day list generated? It's pretty useful info there for OSx86 builders. I already switch some parts in my configurations after seeing that list. I like that Antec case you are using, so I think I'll switch to that case over the Lian Li. Also if I can't get the audio to work, I might get the Creative Xmod also since its working perfectly for you.

To save money on a motherboard, try the D945GCL; Core2Duo compatible, only drawbacks are the 2 ram slots and no overclockability. The plus is that it comes with GMA950, so the videocard is instantly supported and built-in.
The 2 memory slots is a downer, I like the options to add more memory in the future. On board video is not important to me as long as I can get the video card to work.
You've made a decent choice for CPU cooler, but look into thermalright for more silence and a way to replace dying fans.
I actually looked at the Thermalright before, but thought the ones with fans would cool better, just in case I want to overclock the CPU.
I've never heard of that PSU manufacturer, but it isn't a cheap PSU, so it should be good. The case seems overpriced, though style is personal, and you're still getting a quality case (I don't mean to get a cheap case).
I've heard of the RaidMax brand just from browsing Newegg over the years, but never own one. I'm just basing the decision from the comments on Newegg. As stated above, I'm changing the case to the Antec, which is a bit cheaper.

Thanks for that info, I'll change it to the SH-128M.

By the way, checking out your links, I got some questions and hope you don't mind answering.

Seems you have two samsung 19" screens, does that work just from the Titan/Natit kexts in the Jas 10.4.8 DVD or some other files needed? I have two viewsonics 22" screens that I like to have working.

What is that keyboard brand and model on your desk?

How is your Deals of the Day list generated? It's pretty useful info there for OSx86 builders. I already switch some parts in my configurations after seeing that list. I like that Antec case you are using, so I think I'll switch to that case over the Lian Li. Also if I can't get the audio to work, I might get the Creative Xmod also since its working perfectly for you.

I think the JaS 10.4.8 DVD only came with Titan and Natit supporting single monitors. I had to download the Natit v.0.2 for dual monitors, and it works perfectly. The keyboard (and mouse seen on the desk) are part of the Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth set. I use the keypad as a remote for my HTMac Mini.

The Deals of the Day page is created with a Java program I wrote that it set up in the crontab to run hourly. It reads a preferences file that has search strings stored in it that should (hopefully) only come up with components that will work in osx86 without much effort.

I think the JaS 10.4.8 DVD only came with Titan and Natit supporting single monitors. I had to download the Natit v.0.2 for dual monitors, and it works perfectly.

Thanks, I found it here and bookmarked it.

I did some reading on the Antec NSK 4400 case, some comments that it is cheaply made and not up to Antec's standards. Whats your opinion of it and hows the PSU that comes with it?

Thanks, I found it here and bookmarked it.

I did some reading on the Antec NSK 4400 case, some comments that it is cheaply made and not up to Antec's standards. Whats your opinion of it and hows the PSU that comes with it?

I actually don't know how the PSU is. lol. I bought a CoolMax CP-500T silent PSU for my old case, along with a silent CPU cooler (Zalman 9500 or something like that), but it turned out the CPU cooler was too big for the case! So I ran out to Best Buy and picked up the Antec. I think it's a good case. The only negative comments I see on NewEgg are about it being cramped inside (hey. It's a mini tower. How much room can you expect? lol), and a couple about the PSU. It still has a 4 egg rating though, with only 2 out of 75 people giving it fewer than 3 eggs. The case seems solid to me, and it's definitely the best I've had (though I've never had another Antec case before, so I can't compare). My only complaint would be that the fan speed controller is on a wire inside the case, rather than being automatic, or a switch on the back of the case.

I gave the PSU to my boyfriend since his PSU didn't have the right power connector for his new motherboard. He hasn't had any problems with it so far (but it's only been about a month).

The Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 (rev 1.3) works nearly perfectly as well, and is actually currently cheaper than the Asus, even though it's a newer chipset ($20 off right now at NewEgg). It's one of the more popular boards I've seen on the forum, and was the new motherboard I mentioned above for my boyfriend's computer. IDE, SATA, Network, Audio, and USB all work perfectly without having to do any hacking (just had to download the ALC883 audio driver). We actually had more trouble getting it working in Windows than in OS X!

Currently $99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128042

cheapest 100% compatible board is ASUS P5LD2 -VM (or -VM SE if you want even cheaper and are willing to live with 2 not 4 ram slots)
The Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 (rev 1.3) works nearly perfectly as well, and is actually currently cheaper than the Asus, even though it's a newer chipset ($20 off right now at NewEgg).

Neither boards has firewire (IEEE 1394), do most firewire cards work without much fuss? Firewire port is a must have for me.

I usually suggest Antec cases. If something isn't up to their usual, avoid it, but IIRC the SLK3000 is cheap and quality.

For the PSU, don't rely on wattage. The fan size is important for cooling and silence, so go with 120mm. Modularity is nice but not needed. Efficency is key, since that will mean how much energy the PSU wastes as heat, and it is a general indicator of component and design quality. >80% efficiency is a requirement for any PSU as far as I'm concerned.

You usually have to add fans to thermalright coolers (they come with fan brackets), but the top ones can run passively. You can add a better fan than what comes with the average cooler, and should the fan fail eventually, you can replace it. Thermalright has top performance at the moment, but at a price. Zalman is usually a great option, but if the fan gets louder or fails, it is incredibly difficult to replace just the fan.

I suggest Intel motherboards to increase compatibility with OSX86. The 2-RAM-Slot board supposedly can address 4gb of RAM, and one can buy 2x2gb sticks as I have done. I like the GMA950 since it works reliably, and the board still has PCI-E, so I'll add my 7600GT eventually.