Realtek ALC850 (Nforce4) Digital Coax (SPDIF)

C Nuttin

10 posts in this topic

I have this issue too, though I suspect the reason there is no help/support for spdif is that very few people actually need it. There are integrated cards that seem to have functional optical outs, I am curious what kext defines that support. Is it in the ac97, azaliaaudio, or HDA kext files? My understanding is the first two are drivers and the HDA is a codec?

What have you guys actually done to get this working? Are you sure you modified the azalia kext properly? If anyone knows why this isn't/won't work I'd love to understand.

• 1 month later...
I have this issue too, though I suspect the reason there is no help/support for spdif is that very few people actually need it. There are integrated cards that seem to have functional optical outs, I am curious what kext defines that support. Is it in the ac97, azaliaaudio, or HDA kext files? My understanding is the first two are drivers and the HDA is a codec?

What have you guys actually done to get this working? Are you sure you modified the azalia kext properly? If anyone knows why this isn't/won't work I'd love to understand.

So I've done some searching as I also have an ALC 850 w/ Optical / Coax out that doesn't work and I came upon this site, which has an installer / driver for Linux...seeing as I have ZERO experience with coding / drivers, I have no clue, but hopefully some nice driver maker could have a look?

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Main_Page

and HDA won't work, as the 850 is AC97...doh!

• 2 weeks later...

SPDIF would be really nice. Maybe it just needs to be enabled in the driver alongside the PCM option?

I enabled it in the source code and now I do have an option for SPDIF. I can hear some stuff from the SPDIF connection when switching inputs, but no audio out of there yet. Give this kext a try if you're adventurous and see if it works for you.

hxxp://www.MegaShare.com/264165

Put this kext into the PlugIns folder of the AppleAC97Audio.kext.

• 4 months later...
SPDIF would be really nice. Maybe it just needs to be enabled in the driver alongside the PCM option?

I enabled it in the source code and now I do have an option for SPDIF. I can hear some stuff from the SPDIF connection when switching inputs, but no audio out of there yet. Give this kext a try if you're adventurous and see if it works for you.

Just as you said, the S/PDIF is there but it doesn't work. I can hear some things when switching inputs but no sound. i will try and fix this... still searching google / trying to figure out how this works and try to make it work. If i find something, and i get it to work i will post here, until then, keep trying and i hope one of us gets this fixed.

Just as you said, the S/PDIF is there but it doesn't work. I can hear some things when switching inputs but no sound. i will try and fix this... still searching google / trying to figure out how this works and try to make it work. If i find something, and i get it to work i will post here, until then, keep trying and i hope one of us gets this fixed.