I got EXSP24 working in Garageband!

yoda75

11 posts in this topic

Well here is the deal. I found the last AU version released of the old EXSP24 (from when it was still flying the Emagic colors). I got the component in the right file and I got it to access my EXS sample library. I'm also not limited to Garageband, I can also use EXSP24 in any other AU host like RAX/Digital Performer etc. The problem is that this component isn't UB, so I'm only able to do this on my powerbook. I plan on getting a Macbook Pro and I'd like to continue using this little trick because although Logic is great, it's not ideal for me in a live performance application. Maybe a dev or some other knowledgable person can chime in and help maybe port this or maybe take little bits out of Logic Express to frankenstein this plugin to life. It would be even nicer if the os9 VST version could somehow be ported, then I could use this in Pro Tools too. Anyways, I'm just wishing and hoping out loud in case the impossible can become possible. After all, there was a time that I didn't think anything like our misfit hackintoshes would be possible either :)

EXSP24_GARAGEBAND.jpg

EXSP24_MENUS_GARAGEBAND.jpg

Actually I know there is no way to extract space designer because it was built into logic from the get go. EXSP24 OTOH, was available for purchase seperately before Apple bought Emagic. You could actually get EXSP as a VST for use in apps other than Logic. It was VST compatible in both XP and OS9 and the last update Apple released for it was as an AU in OSX. I just wish there was a way to get the VST version somehow ported to OSX. I know Kontakt can theoretically open .exs files too but it has problems with it. The advantage of EXSP over Kontakt is that it is simple and light weight. Ah well, we'll see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here's an update on the situation. I had to abandon the EXSP24 AU idea because I just bought a new black Macbook but I found another solution at least for GarageBand. There is a way to play EXS instruments with GB. In a nutshell, Garageband has a built in sample player that it uses to play the built in GB instruments. All the GB instruments are actually .exs format (the same format that the EXS24 uses) so you just need to tweek the first line of the preset files and you can play any of your favourite .exs libraries without a 3rd party AU sampler instrument. The full tutorial is here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/garageban...ml#storytop%20)

I've tested this and it works on my Hackintosh. I haven't tried it on my Macbook so YMMV. Just a hint for all of you folks that already have an extensive exs sample library; you will have to move your samples into the directory "/library/application support/garageband/instrument library/sampler/samplerfiles". A good way to avoid wasting disk space is to create an alias of the folder that your entire sample collection is in and put the alias in there instead.

I know most of you don't use GB as your main DAW, neither do I. I do however love to use it as a scratch pad for musical ideas because it doesn't need a dongle and it's super quick and easy to use. Anyways, I hope this is of use to some of you.

• 1 year later...
Well here is the deal. I found the last AU version released of the old EXSP24 (from when it was still flying the Emagic colors). I got the component in the right file and I got it to access my EXS sample library. I'm also not limited to Garageband, I can also use EXSP24 in any other AU host like RAX/Digital Performer etc. The problem is that this component isn't UB, so I'm only able to do this on my powerbook. I plan on getting a Macbook Pro and I'd like to continue using this little trick because although Logic is great, it's not ideal for me in a live performance application. Maybe a dev or some other knowledgable person can chime in and help maybe port this or maybe take little bits out of Logic Express to frankenstein this plugin to life. It would be even nicer if the os9 VST version could somehow be ported, then I could use this in Pro Tools too. Anyways, I'm just wishing and hoping out loud in case the impossible can become possible. After all, there was a time that I didn't think anything like our misfit hackintoshes would be possible either :(

EXSP24_GARAGEBAND.jpg

EXSP24_MENUS_GARAGEBAND.jpg

This is very interesting,is it possible to you to upload this vst exs24 please!

• 2 weeks later...
Actually I know there is no way to extract space designer because it was built into logic from the get go. EXSP24 OTOH, was available for purchase seperately before Apple bought Emagic. You could actually get EXSP as a VST for use in apps other than Logic. It was VST compatible in both XP and OS9 and the last update Apple released for it was as an AU in OSX. I just wish there was a way to get the VST version somehow ported to OSX. I know Kontakt can theoretically open .exs files too but it has problems with it. The advantage of EXSP over Kontakt is that it is simple and light weight. Ah well, we'll see what happens.

if i have emagic logic 5.5.1 (last pc version) installed on pc can i use EXSP in other audio apps? like ableton live or sonar?