What's the best video card for gaming on Mac OS X86?

6 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm new to the forums, and am going to build a new computer so that I can run Mac OS X nicely (not just for this, it's for my GCSE test results, which is what we do when we leave school in the UK).

I want to be able to play games on Crossover though, or cider or whatever I need to do so :huh:

So i was wondering, whats the best gaming card that is *fully* supported with 3D and such, looking towards the Nvidia 8*** and 7*** series :huh:

Thanks all

Looking at this chart and the 10.4.8 HCL, it looks like the ATI X1950 XTX is the best card currently supported in osx86. The nVidia 7800 GTX is the fastest card I see listed in the HCL (it's faster than the 7900GS and 7900GT), but I would guess the 7900GTX would work as well, there just aren't any reports of it.

There will probably be 8x00 drivers for osx86 soon, but there aren't any as of yet. It would require getting the drivers from the MacBook, then modifying them to work. I think some people are working on it right now. But, the ATI X1950 and 7800GTX are actually faster than an nVidia 8600GT. You'd have to get the 8800GT to do better.

• 4 months later...