Getting started

loony636

4 posts in this topic

Well I've been looking around here for a couple of days and thought that I was just about confident to get started. So I went onto Pirate Bay and downloaded a tiger-x86.tar.bz2 torrent. I was quite please with myself. Then I suddenly realised that this torrent was from 2005, and so I looked a little deeper in these forums, and now, I'm really confused.

I've heard people talking about Tubgirl, Jas, etc images and I'm completely in the dark about this. I have less than no clue what to download, what image does what and I don't think that there's a topic (or at least not one that I've found) which accurately explains all of this. And this got me thinking. If this version was, say, 10.4.1, then would it be possible to update this to the current version (10.4.9)? Or would I have to re-download one of these Jas images, and if so, which one?

And my second woe was in the actualy installation of the image. Yes I understand that I have to download a lot of things and type in some commands, wait for an hour or so and voila, my computer has Mac OS X. But I was interested in whether you could directly overide Windows with Mac. So, say, you install Mac OS X directly over your Windows partition, since my laptop only has one small (20GB) harddrive and I don't have an external harddrive. Would this be possible? Would there be any issues with FAT 32 or NTFS compatability?

Thanks for the help.

Hey loony636, welcome to the forums. I think you should download the newest .iso if possible. Try downloading

[JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2.iso + JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip] just search around. About your confusion, it's fine, let me explaine a little bit, many people customize the OSx86 to their own needs, that's why you'll find many "versions" of OSx86, some of them are better for AMD computers, others for Intel computers and etc. And so you want to use only OSx86, there will be no issues, just be sure to format your HD with "Disk Utility", you can do this directly from Mac OS X Installer. If don't know how to do this, let me know and i'll explain it to you.

Cheers

Paulo

Hey loony636, welcome to the forums. I think you should download the newest .iso if possible. Try downloading

[JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2.iso + JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip] just search around. About your confusion, it's fine, let me explaine a little bit, many people customize the OSx86 to their own needs, that's why you'll find many "versions" of OSx86, some of them are better for AMD computers, others for Intel computers and etc. And so you want to use only OSx86, there will be no issues, just be sure to format your HD with "Disk Utility", you can do this directly from Mac OS X Installer. If don't know how to do this, let me know and i'll explain it to you.

Cheers

Paulo

I agree that the JaS image mentioned above is a good one (I've installed it on two computers with excellent results). I just wanted to clarify something about using Disk Utility though. If you end up partitioning the drive, click on "options," and choose "Use Master Boot Record." Many computers wouldn't be able to boot from a drive using the default partition setting, which is an Apple Partition Map.