Unable to install OSX86

GazR

21 posts in this topic

I read the Wiki on how to install OSX86, creating a 6Gb partition in my windows vista hard disk etc, but when I went to install it, I got to the "select a destination volume" section, and the boxes are empty, I don't know what's wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, GazR

6gb is the absolute minimum for installing osx (if you plan on installing any software afterwords, i'd recommend at least 20gb), but that's not why your install dvd can't see it.

are you using sata or pata disk? sata won't work for installing on some chipsets.

you'll have to identify your southbridge controller (ichX, nforceX...) and check the wiki page.

use cpu-z application.

if your chipset is supported, go on trying:

when creating a partition for osx you should make it visible to the osx install dvd.

the best way is to create a partition from windows manually (not using disk management utility):

make sure you have enough unpartitioned space on the disk

click 'start' (or whatever it's called on vista) -> 'run' -> type in 'diskpart'

'list disk' - displays list of disks installed in your machine. identify the one you want to install osx onto, and

'select disk x' - where x is the number of that disk

'list part' - displays list of partitions on the selected disk (just to make sure you've selected the right disk)

'create partition primary size=xx id=af' - where xx is the size of your new partition (in kilobytes - 6144 is 6gb, and 20480 is 20gb). 'id=af' part is where you make the partition visible to the osx installer.

then continue with Paulo Greimel's advice.

good luck

First of all, Welcome to InsanelyMac! You cannot see you 6 GB partitionon the installation window, right ? Try formatting it with Disk Utility located on the menu "Utilities" in the top menu bar, then choose the 6 GB partition and format it to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" (Be sure it's the empty partition you created, not the one that contains vista), then you will be able to select it in the intallation window. You will have to search something about dual-boot "Windows Vista - Mac OS X86".

Good Luck.

Paulo

Thank you both for your quick replies. In vista I shrunk my 80Gb HDD. this then left me with 6.5Gbs of Unpartitioned Space, I then did the command prompt thing mentioned above to set the unpartitioned space as Active, I then put in the disc I burned with OSX on it into the DVD drive. It boots up, I get the welcome screen, when I get to the "Select A Destination" it's blank, My hard disk is an ATA Disk, Seagate ST380011A if that means anything. Looking at my BIOS IDE settings, Primary IDE Master is a DVD drive, Primary IDE Slave is a DVDRW drive, Secondary IDE Master is the Hard Drive, I do have 2 other hard disks, one SATA and one other ATA, but they're for storing media on, so I unplugged them until I can get OSX working.

I thnk that's enough information, if you require more, just ask.

thanks, Gary.

Disk Utility can't see the hard drive, it just displays the DVD drives. BIOS says it's there, but the Apple Installer says it isn't. Does the fact that it's unpartitioned space mean it can't be displayed? When I click 'Utilities > System Profiler' I click the ATA tree thing, and it also just shows the DVD drives, this is all very confusing.

So I think your chipset it's not supported, as zarac said. That's why it's not showing you your hard drive. Why don't you try booting with the PATA HD and see if the OSx86 recognizes it. Or maybe, press F8 when a black screen appears with the message "Press any key to install Mac OS X or press F8 to startup options." and then type -v, if it don't work try other options like -x, -s, platform=x86pc, -legacy.

If by Pata you mean ATA, then I am using that, the SATA hard disk doesn't have power going to it, the motherboard is an Asrock 939Dual-SataII motherboard using the VIA chipset. I don't know how important that information is though.

try zarac's tip:

'list disk' - displays list of disks installed in your machine. identify the one you want to install osx onto, and

'select disk x' - where x is the number of that disk

'list part' - displays list of partitions on the selected disk (just to make sure you've selected the right disk)

'create partition primary size=xx id=af' - where xx is the size of your new partition (in kilobytes - 6144 is 6gb, and 20480 is 20gb). 'id=af' part is where you make the partition visible to the osx installer.

In the guide I had before, it mentions using Partition Magic, as my version of partition magic didn't run on Vista, I used the storage management system in vista to create a new partition, then carried on the steps, shall I delete the partition I made last time and make a new one, or?

Try making a new one, maybe you can search for patches for you HD.

Ok, so I did that and still no joy. what should the hardware setup be as regards to hdd master/slave and dvd drives master/slave, I would really like to get this working.

If I have the DVD drives as primary, the apple installation boots up but can't detect the hard disks, if the hard disks are primary, I don't get the installation screen I get "Still Waiting for Root Device"

I'm out of ideas :huh: I'm tempted to give up this venture, but I'll go on for a little while longer.

try changing your hard drive to primary master, and then boot osx from dvd drive which is primary slave.

it worked on one machine i tried..

just checked, your motherboard isn't using via chipset, but Ali/ULI M1695 which (i think) is not supported

there's only one ali/uli chipset listed on the HCL page (look for 775TwinsHDTV), but it's not the same as yours

EDIT:

after checking some more, i realized your ata controller is actually JMicron JMB360 which tends to be a bit tricky.

what osx dvd are you using?

you'll either have to use vmware install method, or download JaS 10.4.8 reseed and patch it with JMicron patch (you'll have to search a bit on the green demon site, because live links are not allowed here)

maybe you'll have better luck with sata drive....

I tried the VMWare method and it installed eventually. Now I get "HFS+ Partition error" message :)

EDIT: I looked on the site and found a fix for the error, now I just get a blank screen and a flashing curser doing nothing, I'm out of ideas, this mac business is giving me a headache.

Does your computer supports SSE3? Try installing with the SSE2 patch, you can also try activating your partition. I think the easiest way is to use GParted Live CD, just manage the flags from the partition containing OSx86 and set the flag "boot". It might work. Don't give up, go ahead, try, I got my hackintosh to work a few weeks ago and worked quite hard.

Paulo