help me with backing up my kexts

drunknbass

4 posts in this topic

can someone please help me. i have a full functional 10.4.8 installation and i want, well.. i have to upgrade to 10.4.9 to run final cut studio 2, and i wanna back up any kexts i had to mess with to get my system working. i know i had to mess with some wifi kexts to get my wifi card to work. and some kexts for my sound to work. i think my ethernet was working out of the box but id like to back it up incase, cause if i cant get online ill never get anything fixed that ends up broken. and ill prob back up my nvidia kexts too so my display is working out of the box.

so can someone lists the kexts i need to backup for these diff parts of my system so i can procede to upgrading.. also whats the benifit of upgrading kernel? i saw its not manditory.

Open a terminal and type

sudo -s (hit enter)

enter your user password

mkdir /10.4.8\ Extensions

cp -r /system/library/Extensions/ /10.4.8\ Extensions/

That should do it.Good luck.

hey thanks alot. i upgraded to 10.4.9 seemingly without a prob. now im trying to decide if i should upgrade to the newer kernel, this is the sketchy part because it seems that some peoples systems are done for once they upgrade and theres no way to go back unless you install a disk image backup.. so what are the reasons why id want to upgrade the kernel? would normal software which requires 10.4.9 most likely require the new kernel as well? does the system run faster with the new kernel? etc. thanks alot!