Should I invest in an 8600GT instead of a 7800GT/7900GT/7950GT?

32 posts in this topic

I ran comparative benchmarks between my old 7800GTX 256MB and the 8600GTS I won. I can conclusively say they perform almost identically. Things that depended more on memory bandwidth were usually a few FPS ahead on the 7800, and things that depended more on shader power tended to run a bit faster on the 8600. In practice, I don't think you'd notice the difference, especially at resolutions below 1600x1200 with low AA settings (2x or 4x) where memory bandwidth is less of an issue.

The 8600 definitely outperforms the 7600 consistently. I don't know if drivers have moved on since the early 8 series reviews, but like I said, it's as fast as my 7800GTX.

The 8600 runs cooler and supports DX10 (although I'd argue that's academic, especially on a mid-range card, because not even the first generation of high-end DX10 cards appear to be fast enough to run DX10 games properly), but doesn't work yet in OS X.... Meh.

Is there going to be the same conclusion now that 8x00 series are up? Or most of you guys would still recommend at 7x00 anyway?

Only the 8800 series is working, so if you wanna get a super-fast card, get the Geforce 8800. Else, yes we still recommend 7x00. They're also very easy to get working.

I ran comparative benchmarks between my old 7800GTX 256MB and the 8600GTS I won. I can conclusively say they perform almost identically. Things that depended more on memory bandwidth were usually a few FPS ahead on the 7800, and things that depended more on shader power tended to run a bit faster on the 8600. In practice, I don't think you'd notice the difference, especially at resolutions below 1600x1200 with low AA settings (2x or 4x) where memory bandwidth is less of an issue.

The 8600 definitely outperforms the 7600 consistently. I don't know if drivers have moved on since the early 8 series reviews, but like I said, it's as fast as my 7800GTX.

The 8600 runs cooler and supports DX10 (although I'd argue that's academic, especially on a mid-range card, because not even the first generation of high-end DX10 cards appear to be fast enough to run DX10 games properly), but doesn't work yet in OS X.... Meh.

From reading this, it sounds like there's not much significant difference between the 7x00 compared to the 8600s, this probably explains why 7x00 cost more than how much 8600s are going right now. Seems like the 7x00 is more superioror and outperforms the 8600s, probably with less worries to configure as well. thanks for sharing your results with me and the community. much appreciated.

Only the 8800 series is working, so if you wanna get a super-fast card, get the Geforce 8800. Else, yes we still recommend 7x00. They're also very easy to get working.

I might just settle for a 7300GT for now, and wait until the 8800 gets more inexpensive and affordable.

Except for the recent 512Mb variants (like my 7600SE 512) that do NOT work. I have agp still, but there does seem to be a solution for PCIe cards that will be used in OSX only, flash the card's bios down to a 256Mb card...

I'll try to avoid 512mb 7x00, or anything since I have to flash it.

Would flashing a 7300GT 512mb be difficult?

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate them. I wouldn't be anywhere in this without you guys, so thanks.

Not all 7xxx card are the same. I was comparing the 7800GTX, a 24-shader pipe, 256-bit memory bus card. A 7600 will not match that performance.

Nobody expects the 8600GTS, a mid range card, to substantially outperform the top of the range 7 series cards, like the 7800GTX, 7900GT, etc... I think it's good enough (especially considering that we're comparing a 128-bit card to a 256-bit card) that the 8600GTS matches the 7800GTX (which in turn roughly matches the later 7900GT, but it outperformed by the 7900GTX). In fact, I'm quite impressed.

Not all 7xxx card are the same. I was comparing the 7800GTX, a 24-shader pipe, 256-bit memory bus card. A 7600 will not match that performance.

Nobody expects the 8600GTS, a mid range card, to substantially outperform the top of the range 7 series cards, like the 7800GTX, 7900GT, etc... I think it's good enough (especially considering that we're comparing a 128-bit card to a 256-bit card) that the 8600GTS matches the 7800GTX (which in turn roughly matches the later 7900GT, but it outperformed by the 7900GTX). In fact, I'm quite impressed.

Thanks for your thoughts and facts Azurael

Except for the recent 512Mb variants (like my 7600SE 512) that do NOT work. I have agp still, but there does seem to be a solution for PCIe cards that will be used in OSX only, flash the card's bios down to a 256Mb card...

Incorrect. PCIe cards that use 512 MB of vRAM can be flashed via the aquamac/gotoh method so that the Darwin bootloader sees the correct memory size. This procedure has no effect on the card's performance in Windows. My 7900 GTO has been flashed since the method was developed this spring with no ill effects in Windows plus full support under OS X.

Check out www.osx86scene.com forums for the links.