External Monitor GMA900

rudd

10 posts in this topic

I installed Jas 10.4.8 on my Acer Aspire 1642ZWLMi.

I have a problem with my video card Intel GMA900.

It doesn't work with internal monitor.

It works fine with external monitor connected.

I've read many post about this problem, but I'm confused. Can anyone tell me a solution for my notebook.

Thanks.

rudd,

I am using the same card. And I think you should really search the forum for information. GMA 900 driver will never fix that problem of yours. I am having the same problem too. In your BIOS setting, just make sure you set it to using internal display. Actually, it doesn't really matter, but its good if you can experiment with the settings there.

Just a trick that I do, I switch display when its about to load up the blue login screen. I hit FN + F5 in my Toshiba laptop. 3 times, doing so, send info to the BIOS: LCD + External -> External Only -> Internal LCD. With that done in time, I would be able to get the login window without the need to connect external monitor or other tricks, like paper clip or the pin 6 to pin 12 trick. Search around and you will know what they are about. Just to be sure, I do the trick just after the apple boot screen disappear and the login window appears.

It is a know problem and there are some tricks available. Some people even went to create an external monitor adapter!

Hope it helps.

Matthew

I try to hit FN + F5 but doesn't work.

In my bios setting I have only: auto/both for monitor and not work with anyone.

In your opinion can I update the bios???

In alternative I can connect the pin on external monitor plug...but this trick make some problem in windows???

Thanks

I tried everything but only office pin connected to pins 6 and 12 works for me. Right after boot I can remove it and even attach external monitor, everything works cool... people were confused what I'm doing so I told them it's secret hardware key, without the pin OSX will simply freeze :o

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I just installed 10.4.9 on my Aspire 3610 last night.

Took ages to find what was wrong, at install it would just 'hang' at a blue screen....untill i found i had to plug in external monitor. Man wat a waste of 3 hours trying different boot commands :P

Anywho, what works for me is to set screen option in bios to 'Both' not auto.

Then plug in your external and load up os x. Then go to System Preferences -> Display -> Arrangement -> then check 'Mirror Displays'

Set up the resolution + screen depth as you want it and thats it :) sorted.

Now i can boot up with no external monitor plugged in, and i dont have to do any pin tricks either.

WoJ

EDIT: ah {censored}, no that dosnt work....i coulda sworn it was working before :S awww

Anywho, what works for me is to set screen option in bios to 'Both' not auto.
No difference there.
ah {censored}, no that dosnt work....i coulda sworn it was working before :S awww
You have to use second Monitor or do the pin Mod.
Then plug in your external and load up os x. Then go to System Preferences -> Display -> Arrangement -> then check 'Mirror Displays'Set up the resolution + screen depth as you want it and thats it :) sorted.
But you will have Mouse Tearing then in Text Fields, like "Get Info" on a File and then the "Spotlight Comments". In other Apps too like Firefox Text Fields and MS Office 2008. For that click "Detect Displays" in Display Prefpane, then the second Monitor on pin Mod will disappear and no more Mouse Tearing. For that you can do a AppleScript that does this for you on after boot.
Putting the pin inside everytime really stinks :(
Just leave it there? Why take it off?
Is there a script that can do the switching displays automatically?Its a real pain disabling the second screen every time i boot..
No, just a Script wont do the Trick, the pin has to be installed, but with "Detect Displays" will shut off the second virtual Display.AppleScript:
tell application "Finder"
open document file "Displays.prefPane" of folder "PreferencePanes" of folder "Library" of folder "System" of startup disk
delay 2
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "System Preferences"
		tell button "Detect Displays" of group 1 of tab group 1 of window "Display" to click
	end tell
end tell
end tell
tell application "System Preferences" to quit

Save it as bundle in AppleScript and but it in to Account Log in Items. And turn "Enable access for assistive devices" on under Universal Access PrefPane.

yay, pin works like a charm.

bit annoyin if i want to use external monitor at any point though...might have to make a little diy cap that i can remove at will :)

also, my god is it fiddly to bend a paper clip!! :D

Cheers,

Woj

• 1 month later...

"For that click "Detect Displays" in Display Prefpane, then the second Monitor on pin Mod will disappear and no more Mouse Tearing. For that you can do a AppleScript that does this for you on after boot."

doesn't do anything, my mouse still runs off to the other monitor

Acer Travelmate 2420