unrecognized admin password

Axecaster

5 posts in this topic

Hopefully I'm including all the necessary information here. I'm making use of the OSx86 Jas release of 10.4.8 with ppf 1 + 2 and the smb fix plus the 10.4.9 jas update. Has been working like a charm for weeks now.

The other day I added some more RAM, which didn't seem to phase the OS much besides a bit of pep. However, today things started acting up as I tried to network the hackintosh to xbox media center. After reading over the online manual, I grabbed SharePoints to aid in the configuration.

For a few moments, it was working correctly, as audio, video, and images were networked to my tv using the windows sharing. Then I made the mistake of going one step further: I wanted to rename some of the sharing folders, and I wanted to rename my hackintosh for network identity purposes.

But wait, I need my admin password to change the network settings. And guess what? It is no longer recognized when typed absolutely correct. I have 3 accounts, one admin, one standard, and a second standard for sharing purposes. I can log into the Admin account with it, but any time I try to change the network settings across any of those 3 user accounts, it always says the admin name and password combination was entered incorrectly.

I'm under the impression that I'll need to do a wipe and reinstall. Anyone have any other advice?

Why would it be asking for the windows media password? This is when I go to click the lock in the lower left corner of network settings. It prompts me for the os x admin name and password, which gets repeatedly entered correctly, but behaves as though it wasn't. I know the password is correct because I use the same password to log into the admin account.

I assume the problem is that your current user is not in the so-called "su-doers" list. You have to open a term window using your user with admin rights.

Try the following from within the terminal:

su admin (this will open a new term) enter the password when asked.
sudo su (this will log you in as superuser and let you make any changes in the system)

Cheers,

hecker

EDIT: I made a mistake here. This will only work if you actually have an extra "admin" account with administrator privileges on your machine.

That might work except for the fact that the admin name and password are no longer recognized as lock and key for any of the user accounts. I've already reinstalled, but I just ran into the problem yet again! Seemingly it happens the moment I try and access the shared mac folder from windoze xp on a different pc on the network.

I tried to use the install disk to reset the root password. Now I just get a hanging progress bar prior to the login window. :)