My ASUS 7300GS won't work with Natit or Titan or Macvidia!

20 posts in this topic

Hey all! I want to report that I could install uphuck's v1.2 1.4.9 successfully on my computer (only basic install, without ANY drivers, just the basic files and the Intel Kernel - first one on the list), as well as JaS 1.4.8 (also basic install).

My specs are as follows:

· Pentium 4 2.4Ghz HT

· ASUS P4VD800D-X Motherboard (VIA Chipset)

· ASUS enGeForce 7300GS 256Mb (I assume it's ASUS Make, Device ID: x01df I think, I forgot exactly but I think that's the correct one).

· VIA Rhine II Ethernet 10/100

· SoundMax AD188 AC97 onBoard Sound

Installing a barebones install granted me a basic OSX set of functions, with MANY graphic glitches (scrolling up and down made the graphics get stuck and only move at the bottom, however activating Exposé or minimizing fixed it but it's hella annoying, also happens if I drag a window around, etc.). In the System Profiler, it detects that it's an NVIDIA Card with 256Mb of RAM, but it says no CI/QE Support. According to the Wiki, my card SHOULD work better than this... however...

Installing either Natit (or Dual) or Titan, or even MacVidia, makes the whole thing go to hell, even if I install them POST the original clean install. Computer loads properly, but then it goes to a Black Screen (like the monitor goes to Standby) and that's it, nothing else happens. How can I make my video card work properly?

On the plus side, installing PinXie's (sp?) Via Rhine II Drivers for the Ethernet card worked perfectly, and the AppleAC97Audio.kext that's floating around for P5B users also works (sort of, sound is a bit choppy and the like, but it's better than nothing).

A Final note, I get the exact same problems with JaS 1.4.8 (the latest ISO, the one with all the patches). Any help will be appreciated and I hope my comments helped someone out as well. Eagerly waiting for replies and I'm sorry for the long post!

I haven't tried using both ports because my monitor is actually a 17" ViewSonic CRT, so I only tried the VGA port. I'll check out that link, but if anyone else has any ideas, please shoot them my way! Thanks a lot!

Hey all! I want to report that I could install uphuck's v1.2 1.4.9 successfully on my computer (only basic install, without ANY drivers, just the basic files and the Intel Kernel - first one on the list), as well as JaS 1.4.8 (also basic install).

My specs are as follows:

· Pentium 4 2.4Ghz HT

· ASUS P4VD800D-X Motherboard (VIA Chipset)

· ASUS enGeForce 7300GS 256Mb (I assume it's ASUS Make, Device ID: x01df I think, I forgot exactly but I think that's the correct one).

· VIA Rhine II Ethernet 10/100

· SoundMax AD188 AC97 onBoard Sound

Installing a barebones install granted me a basic OSX set of functions, with MANY graphic glitches (scrolling up and down made the graphics get stuck and only move at the bottom, however activating Exposé or minimizing fixed it but it's hella annoying, also happens if I drag a window around, etc.). In the System Profiler, it detects that it's an NVIDIA Card with 256Mb of RAM, but it says no CI/QE Support. According to the Wiki, my card SHOULD work better than this... however...

Works swell for me, exact same card ASUS EN7300GS 256MB.

Install Path..

JaS 10.4.7 via VMWare onto Secondary IDE HDD

Result: Booted on 1st try, No QE/CI support, and no graphical glitches

In order to get QE/CI i had to patch 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 using egwan's patcher which has the Nvidia drivers (http://egwan.freeflux.net/). Chose the DaemonES Kernel, TITAN NVidia Support, Intel GMA950 Support, and ICH8 Support (Mistake, but no harm done). 2 Reboots later, System Profiler reports QE/CI support. Enabled QuartzExtreme via QuartzSimple. No complaints yet :) (Finished it this morning)

Specs:

Pentium D 820

ASUS P5L-MX

ASUS EN7300GS

ADI HD Audio ADI1986A (Supposed to work, havent got around to patching for it)

Attansic L1 Ethernet (Didnt bother trying, supposed to not work it seems. Used a PCI Realtek 8139 instead)

Try copying the above install path and see if it works. I've had little issues installing MacOSX with my H/W, was half expecting it to give a kernel panic on patching to 10.4.8, but it works like a charm.

I'll give it a shot, but I don't think it'll work. For starters, I'm already on 1.4.8 by JaS. All I really need is to get the card working, and apparently the egwan patch adds a whole lot of other things. Another thing, why Titan Nvidia Support? Better than Natit for this card? and why would I ned IntelGMA950 support with my motherboard? I thought it was motherboard drivers, but maybe I'm wrong? Thanks for the help :)

I'll give it a shot, but I don't think it'll work. For starters, I'm already on 1.4.8 by JaS. All I really need is to get the card working, and apparently the egwan patch adds a whole lot of other things. Another thing, why Titan Nvidia Support? Better than Natit for this card? and why would I ned IntelGMA950 support with my motherboard? I thought it was motherboard drivers, but maybe I'm wrong? Thanks for the help :(

Sorry about that, i just posted the exact steps that i followed to get this working on my H/W, i was hoping you could follow something similar tailored for your config :( . From what i've read prior to installing i understood that 10.4.8 installs didnt work quite well (I didnt read up a lot on this but thats the basic impression i got). Thats why i installed 10.4.7 initially and then patched it upto 10.4.8. As for the drivers, for a VIA chipset i suppose you can omit the Intel specific stuff like GMA 950 support, and ICH8 support plus you may want to change the choice of kernel to semthex.

I just quick searched the ASUS website but couldnt get a match for your motherboard, Is this a AGP/Socket 478 system or a PCIe/LGA775 System? AGP might have a different solution.

Anyways i primarily chose Titan over Natit cos it was simpler than Natit and i didnt want to use Dual Display. The Macvidia dev team seem to want to disable H/W accel and focus more on building up there driver, so Titan was my final choice.

Sorry about that, i just posted the exact steps that i followed to get this working on my H/W, i was hoping you could follow something similar tailored for your config :tomato: . From what i've read prior to installing i understood that 10.4.8 installs didnt work quite well (I didnt read up a lot on this but thats the basic impression i got). Thats why i installed 10.4.7 initially and then patched it upto 10.4.8. As for the drivers, for a VIA chipset i suppose you can omit the Intel specific stuff like GMA 950 support, and ICH8 support plus you may want to change the choice of kernel to semthex.

I just quick searched the ASUS website but couldnt get a match for your motherboard, Is this a AGP/Socket 478 system or a PCIe/LGA775 System? AGP might have a different solution.

Anyways i primarily chose Titan over Natit cos it was simpler than Natit and i didnt want to use Dual Display. The Macvidia dev team seem to want to disable H/W accel and focus more on building up there driver, so Titan was my final choice.

Thanks again for your reply :) This is a dual AGP and PCIe motherboard, the model is P4V800D-X, it's for a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz HT. But anyway, my install right now has neither ICH8 or GMA950, and I'm running smethex 8.8.1 (the one that comes with JaS 1.4.8 ppf1ppf2 intel/amd), so I'm at a loss quite franky... would a screenshot of my About this Mac and System Profiler help at all?

I've just installed one of this packages: http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/iNVidia.html But I don't remember which one

Thanks for your reply, I tried those drivers but same result, everything goes to hell :censored2: I want my 7300GS to work goshdarnit!

Here's a screenshot of my Profiler and my About this Mac. One more question: can my monitor be the culprit with the whole problem? I have a CRT monitor (VGA Connector), a ViewSonic E70f+. I used this monitor as Extended desktop to my iBook G4 so I know the monitor is sort of compatible at least. Could this be the problem? Sadly I have no VGA-DVI adapter to try it otherwise...

post-110255-1180991934_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for your reply :) This is a dual AGP and PCIe motherboard, the model is P4V800D-X, it's for a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz HT. But anyway, my install right now has neither ICH8 or GMA950, and I'm running smethex 8.8.1 (the one that comes with JaS 1.4.8 ppf1ppf2 intel/amd), so I'm at a loss quite franky... would a screenshot of my About this Mac and System Profiler help at all?

From what i see from that screenshot I have the very same card, right down to board revision. I dont think it's the monitor at fault here, possibly the motherboard chipset? just guessing.

Anyways i've got the following NVidia (i'm isolating based on the name) related extensions loaded according to System Profiler.

GeForce 1.4.40.4 (8.6.0f1)

NVDANV40Hal 1.4.40.4 (8.6.0f1)

NVDAResman 1.4.40.4 (8.6.0f1)

maybe there are more that i couldnt find. Anyways check if you tried these extensions. Odd thing is that i dont see Titan.kext on the list, i'm kinda new to OSX so i dunno if that means it's not loaded or something.

I'm attatching the files zipped. These were installed either with the original Jas 10.4.7 install (which i seriously doubt cos' CI/QE didnt work then), or Apples 10.4.8 update, or Egwan's patch (Which i think is more probable), so credits go to whoever made them.

Hope this helps,

GeForce.kext.zip

NVDANV40Hal.kext.zip

NVDAResman.kext.zip

Thanks for the attachments, ca258! I'll take the plunge and try them out soon :) The reason you don't see Titan or Natit is because both make the system just hang on the loginwindow with the infamous Black Screen. The only way I can actually get it working is to have no Titan, Natit or Macvidia drivers whatsoever...

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say that *I* don't have Titan or Natit or anything, but I re-read your post and I noticed you said that you don't see Natit or Titan or anything loaded on YOUR end either... that is very odd I think, but then again I dunno if Titan or Natit are supposed to load on the Extensions pane of System Profiler. Could anyone confirm this?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say that *I* don't have Titan or Natit or anything, but I re-read your post and I noticed you said that you don't see Natit or Titan or anything loaded on YOUR end either... that is very odd I think, but then again I dunno if Titan or Natit are supposed to load on the Extensions pane of System Profiler. Could anyone confirm this?

Yup looks lyk ur right, tried a quick "dmesg | grep Titan" on the console, i got this:

Titan: By omni, built November 4, 2006

Titan: Testing for NVidia card...

Titan: Found NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS

Titan: All set, cross your fingers!

the dmesg output confirms that Titan actually does something, though it doesnt show in System Profiler :) , maybe you should try looking at your dmesg output, or at /var/log/system.log

If I install Titan (back when I did in one of the million times I did), I saw exactly those lines on Verbose mode on bootup, but it'd go to Black Screen after that, probably when it starts loading the loginwindow. Any ideas?

Thanks for your reply, I tried those drivers but same result, everything goes to hell :( I want my 7300GS to work goshdarnit!

Here's a screenshot of my Profiler and my About this Mac. One more question: can my monitor be the culprit with the whole problem? I have a CRT monitor (VGA Connector), a ViewSonic E70f+. I used this monitor as Extended desktop to my iBook G4 so I know the monitor is sort of compatible at least. Could this be the problem? Sadly I have no VGA-DVI adapter to try it otherwise...

post-110255-1180991934_thumb.jpg

I came acroos this in reading your posts..."JaS 1.4.8 ppf1ppf2 intel/amd"...I have tried this dvd and the plain Jas 10.4.8 NO ppfs etc. added. The ppfs dvd gave me a lot of starup problems...but the PLAIN original JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 worked without a single hitch. My 2 cents :rolleyes:

I came acroos this in reading your posts..."JaS 1.4.8 ppf1ppf2 intel/amd"...I have tried this dvd and the plain Jas 10.4.8 NO ppfs etc. added. The ppfs dvd gave me a lot of starup problems...but the PLAIN original JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 worked without a single hitch. My 2 cents :rolleyes:

Well...I notice you already tried the basic DVD!!!! :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

I came acroos this in reading your posts..."JaS 1.4.8 ppf1ppf2 intel/amd"...I have tried this dvd and the plain Jas 10.4.8 NO ppfs etc. added. The ppfs dvd gave me a lot of starup problems...but the PLAIN original JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 worked without a single hitch. My 2 cents :thumbsdown_anim:

Well...I notice you already tried the basic DVD!!!! :thumbsup_anim::hysterical::rolleyes: :pirate2:

The reason the patched JAS DVD has problems with Titan is because it also loads AGPGart. To resolve this you need to boot with -s and rename or remove AGPGart.kext in the /system/library/extensions folder.

The reason the patched JAS DVD has problems with Titan is because it also loads AGPGart. To resolve this you need to boot with -s and rename or remove AGPGart.kext in the /system/library/extensions folder.

SERIOUSLY? If that's the reason, I'm reinstalling right now and giving it a shot dude. You rock! I'll report if I have any news! BTW, Selecting the NV40 thing in thei nstall of JAS DVD with patches is Titan or Natit? or do I have to install Titan on my own?

EDIT: I reinstalled with Titan support from the installer, but no luck.

After a reboot, I booted with -s

then I mounted the drive, then I did

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -d AGPGart.kext

reboot

Still crashes.

I boot into -v and it goes PAST the Titan thing, and into the loginwindow thing, then something about DNSs and sometimes it shows a couple of more lines before going to Black Screen... any ideas?