Installation of 10.4.9 on HP Compaq nc6400

tulindo

13 posts in this topic

In this brief guide I'll detail all configuration steps I did in order to install Tiger 10.4.9 on my HP Compaq nc6400.

Base Installation

During the installation open the BIOS and disable the dual core CPU.

Installed JaS OS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 to a new partition.

To perform this i used the following OSX86 wiki: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...le_And_Accurate.

Select the following components:

* JaS Intel kexts

* Support for most common hadrware

* Titan support

When system reboots select single user mode (if you do not follow this steps the display will be blank and, if using an external monitor it will be completely scrambled).

Backup Extentions

- mkdir /Backup

- mkdir /Backup/10.4.8

- cp /mach_kernel /Backup/10.4.8

- cp -r /System/Library/Extensions /Backup/10.4.8

Remove Unneeded ATI Drivers

- cd /System/Library/Extensions

- rm -rf GeForce* ATIRage* ATIRadeon.kext ATIRadeon8* ATIRadeon9* ATIRadeonD* ATIRadeonG* Natit.kext Titan.kext

- rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.*

Reboot and complete MAC configuration.

Upgrade to 10.4.9

After the configuration is complete you have (hopefully) a working base 10.4.8 system.

Let's upgrade to 10.4.9!

The upgrade is done following NETKAS (http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/archive/20...date-guide.html) instruction.

Instead of using NETKAS kernel my current installation uses KOOLKAL kernel (3-may-2007)

Requirements

- Get KoolKal 8.9.1 latest kernel

- Get ComboUpdate from applesite

Install update and DO NOT PRESS RESTART BUTTON!!!

Open a new terminal and sudo -s

Backup 10.4.9 files

- mkdir /Backup/10.4.9

- cp /mach_kernel /Backup/10.4.9

- cp -r /System/Library/Extensions /Backup/10.4.9

Fix Extensions

# Restore AppleSMBios.kext

- cp -r /Backup/10.4.8/Extensions/AppleSMBios.kext /System/Library/Extensions

# Remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext

- rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext

# Remove Unneeded ATI Drivers

- cd /System/Library/Extensions

- rm -rf GeForce* ATIRage* ATIRadeon.kext ATIRadeon8* ATIRadeon9* ATIRadeonD* ATIRadeonG* Natit.kext Titan.kext

# Fix permissions and clear cache

- chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

- chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

- rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.*

Install KOOLKAL kernel

Reboot

The upgrade is completed!

Enable dual core

Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and set in the Kernel Flags section the "cpus=1" value.

Once this is set you can reenable the Dual Core CPU in the BIOS.

ATI Mobility Radeon X1300

The device ID of the graphics card is 714A.

To enable QE/CI add 0x714A1002 to the IOPCIMatch section of Info.plist in ATIRadeonX1000.kext.

To hardcode native resolution (1440x900) edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Reboot

Graphics you get is 1152x864.

Enabling QE/CI gives the draw back effect of mouse tearing, to remove mouse tearing install MouseLocator.

Ciao,

tulindo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the whole installation i press F8 and type -s and try to go in the command prompt mode but it always gets stuff in this line

ACPI: Button Driver Prevents System Sleep it wont take me to command prompt ...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

Network, wireless, and sound work for you???

And how???

roberTO, wireless doesn't work yet (jalavuoi is working on it)

sound almost works using AppleAzalia patch, but only for audio. after the patch, you can adjust the volume but the mute led is off. pressing the mute/unmute button sound came out but after 1 minute the led goes muted again. Unmute id and it works for another minute... Taruga is working on a driver.

Network works. Follow this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35699. I got MAC address of 0 but with my isp it works. to correctly set your mac address there is a tool called setmac you can find it searching on the forum.

Hope it helps

I got MAC address of 0 but with my isp it works. to correctly set your mac address there is a tool called setmac you can find it searching on the forum.

maybe I am dumb (naaaa - don't answer that, please... ;-) ) but searching for setmac reveals a lot of postings like this one, telling to search the forums for setmac, but neither the script nor instructions where/how to place / install it...

Anyone bother to point to a specific link or post the snippet and instructions here? Thanks!!

Thank you very much. I'm going to give this method a shot and report back on my results.

I have an SMC pcmcia wireless card, so i'm hoping it will work until the 3945 driver is working.

ive got a nc6400 also, with the broadcom gigabit ethernet, intel 3934abg wireless, and adi soundmax hd audio.

none of them are working after the 10.4.8 install from jas.

the mute button comes on like you've said.

ive been unsuccessful getting the ethernet working. you guys have a definitive answer to atleast the ethernet?

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to intstall OS X 10.4.8+ on my nc6400, but I have not been able to even get a bootable disk made... How and what software would you suggest to get the bootalbe disk and then how to get OS X installed on my laptop period... Please help I have been trying for about 2 months now and still nothing...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I have to tell you, I tried this tutorial step by step, and I was not able to get OS X 10.4.8 to install at all. I was able to get the image to install to a drive, but was not able to get to the drive after reboot. So I was not able to install it on the HP. I am not running Ubuntu 7.10 on the machine and I am looking for a second drive to install this image to, to give it another shot...

• 1 month later...