Need Help with RED "!" on 2nd/3rd HD's

12 posts in this topic

Here is the deal.

I don't know how to solve.

You have a NEW HD, install 10.4.8 for example.Then your old HD's become storage, you go to install DRUMCORE or iLIFE apps, choose OS HD for system, but when you go to select STORAGE DRIVE, there is a RED ! and you can't install them there.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

There is some apps you have to install on the system disk.

You can then move those apps later to another disk.

But they need a to be installed on an os disk.

I don't think your old storage disk is acting weird.

That's my two cents !

There is some apps you have to install on the system disk.

You can then move those apps later to another disk.

But they need a to be installed on an os disk.

I don't think your old storage disk is acting weird.

That's my two cents !

Well when all the discs (HD) where 10.4.6 I could install iLIFE, DrumCore, or whatever to the second drive.

Now, even with REPAIR disk, repair permissions, I get this RED ! over b] all MOUNTED DRIVES[/b]!

Thanks again man for any help, advice, course of action. ^_^

Guest Ramm

You can't install them there, that's all the error symbol means.... Most apps you can only install on the startup/system drive.

You can't install them there, that's all the error symbol means.... Most apps you can only install on the startup/system drive.

I think too !!

Hey Ramm !

Keep working on your automated kernel updater, it's worth it !!

I think too !!

Hey Ramm !

Keep working on your automated kernel updater, it's worth it !!

hee hee, you guys are funny! You must be missing this part!

When I had all THREE DISCS on 10.4.6, I could install samples, or iLIFE anywhere, so here is my theory.

Installing a MAC UPDATE from APPLE somehow does something to the other discs whereas our UPDATES and the work arounds, leave out the other disks.

So, as I said, when I had all three with 10.4.6 I could install anything anywhere. Now I can't. Unless I wipe and rejournal the HD's.

Thanks!

Guest Ramm

I think you are missing the point, RedSox. It's not that the disks are damaged, it's that in the new versions of software (both of Tiger and the apps), it doesn't allow for external installation.

BTW, tbdl, I am trying to the kernel updater all patched up :(

Listen to Ramm!! YOU CAN NOT INSTALL SOME APPS ON OTHER HARD DRIVES BUT THE MAIN OS X HARD DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!! Other words, you can't install on portable hard drives (usb/firewire), non OS hard drives, etc. The apps MUST be on the same hard drive as OS X. You got your answer my friend, please listen!

That is true Asmodai, but I have ran OS X with another FAT32 drive and some apps would NOT install on the FAT32 drive. Though what Asmodai say could be the cause, all you have to do to test that is the write and read to the hard drive in question and then you know it is the installer for the application, not the drive.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this issue when installing some stuff on my PowerMac G4. A lot of apps and possibly the newest OSX updates requre you to install directly to your OS HD, and not to a storage disk. I realized this when installing Adobe CS2 and some other things. It's what made me switch my OS to my largest HD, rather than reserving the larger drive purely for media storage.