Need a fully supported 5.1 Soundcard

8 posts in this topic

Is there a USB 5.1 soundcard I can buy that is designed for the MAC for people who want to add 5.1 surround sound support? I can't get 5.1 working on my rig (see sig for specs). Is there a fully compliant MAC soundcard (USB probably would be best) that I can install and plug into and get full 5.1 support?

great, thanks for the feedback guys.

Right now I am leaning towards the M-audio since it is specifically designed to run under OS X, and I think it may have the most worry-free "solid" way of going about it?

Well, I was wondering if the M-Audio has a USB card designed for Mac as I'd prefer external, but willing to do internal if need be.

Also, can anyone confirm about the Griffin Firewave actually being a sound card that is hardware/software supported? From looking over the info, I wasn't sure...?

What do you mean by "fully supported"?

For Macs, there is the Firewave, for external use only.

Then there is the m-audio card, to be taken internally.

I wouldn't recommend the M-Audio Revolution 5.1/7.1 for hacks. Driver support is only up to 10.4.4 for the 5.1 version and 10.4.6 for the 7.1 card. Both drivers are only for PPC. AFAIK there's no success stories on this one, it was on my shopping list but was quickly scratched off due to this "issue".

You might be better off with the SBLive! 24-bit USB sound device, just make sure you have perfectly working USB2.0 ports so you won't run into any problems. AFAIK this is the most common USB device that works on the majority of hacks, unless someone can update me on this one. And if all goes to hell on the next update, you can be sure that it'll work perfectly also on your fallback Windoze partition.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I just got the SBLive! 24-bit USB card that I was recommended.

Plugged in, no software or drivers installed. I have sound, everything works as expected... EXCEPT 5.1

I went to Audio/Midi setup and set my input to 6 channel (have tried both 16-bit and 24-bit), then configure speakers, on multichannel, and set as a 5.1 configuration. Inside audio/midi setup, I can test each channel and it works as expected.

However, when I tried the 5.1 panner in Final Cut Studio 2's Soundtrack Pro, panned it around, and the panner works for the front three speakers but nothing for rear or sub... so basically it is playing stereo... so in audio/midi setup, 5.1 appears to be working, but I am getting no results in an actual 5.1 application...

Please help! Anyplace else I need to setup? Any ideas?