Logitech Webcam 4000 have no video in skype

ZANE WANG

6 posts in this topic

I use the image of Jas.10.4.8.SSE2.SSE3, and install the official driver of Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000.

It work great when I use maccam/logitech's app,

But there shows no webcam detected in skype. (mic works great)

Do somebody know how to solve this situation ?

TY

p.s This webcam can works great in both video/audio on skype in my iBook

so stupid,

After installing the driver from maccam, everything if fine :censored2:

That's funny

I also have the Logitech Webcam Pro 4000.

With Macam drivers 9.1 and Skype 2.6.0.140 (Skype Beta has the same problem)

If I go to the preferences panel it shows Video correctly from the webcam. The Test call to Sype Test also works (audio only)

But if call a contact video shows a black screen with white text "USB Communication problem"

When I record a movie from Quicktime it also records Audio but screen is black screen with white text as above.

I also noticed that if you save preferences from Macam you can only do it once the very first time otherwise Skype uses default settings (which are too dark).

Cheers

EPDM

That's funny

I also have the Logitech Webcam Pro 4000.

With Macam drivers 9.1 and Skype 2.6.0.140 (Skype Beta has the same problem)

If I go to the preferences panel it shows Video correctly from the webcam. The Test call to Sype Test also works (audio only)

But if call a contact video shows a black screen with white text "USB Communication problem"

When I record a movie from Quicktime it also records Audio but screen is black screen with white text as above.

I also noticed that if you save preferences from Macam you can only do it once the very first time otherwise Skype uses default settings (which are too dark).

Cheers

EPDM

I discoverd a (partial) solution to my (own) problem.

You have to understand that I recently had problems getting the original drivers from Logitech to install. Which are in fact IOXperts drivers with a speciall capture program from logitech themselves but who unlike the real ioxperts drivers doesn't communicate with other apps. But at least they keep working while the IOXPerts drivers only lasts for 30-minutes. I realised that the culprit was leftovers from prior attempts with both Macam and IOXPerts-drivers.

I cleaned out my system and found out by accident that if I install the Logitech drivers (which are from IOXperts) AND place the macam.component in the quicktime directory. That the webcam doesn't give the black screen with USB communication problem error. This is very weird since you normally use either macam or logitech/ioxperts NOT a mixture of both.

There is a snag however. If the macam.component is in the quicktime-folder then the logitech Quickcapture application doesn't start. Though you can use quicktime to capture a webcam-movie.

The problem with using the logitech driver solely is that sound has some strange clicking while it works fine without the logitech/ioxperts-drivers. Even though the webcam Mic is seen by OSX as an unknown audio device.

I think that because the webcam has both a mic and video over the same USB-port Skype has problems accessing both functions at the same as it sees 2 different devices (Mic being handled by the OS-audiodrivers and video by a third party macam) and hence give the USB-communication problem. Skype probably locks port access for Audio function and tries to use another USB port for video, finds that it needs the same USB-port as the one which is already locked for audio and gives the Comm-error.

Since the IOXperts drivers used by logitech are actually for 10.3 and the drivers from IOXperts website also seem to be for PPC the Logitech app is handled by Rosetta which obviously has problems with the OSX-recognised audio-device. Anyway both IOXPerts-drivers and Logitechdrivers+macam does the trick.

Cheers.

Are you on Intel or PPC?

I haven't seen any drivers for Intel machines from Logitech, but maybe I didn't look that thoroughly? (are there any?)

That should have been obvious from my post. (I did mention rosetta in the last paragraph)

Anyway. Logitech uses old IOXperts drivers that's for sure. I'm not sure wheter later revisions of their software (which do excists on their site) supports the pro 4000. I guess not. As their drivers seems less complete (they don't interact with quicktime for instance), I presume they remove support from certain older webcams on those. After all it's in their best interest to keep selling stuff.

Cheers