Upgrade CPU

mlmorg

8 posts in this topic

My system has 10.4.8 working perfectly, everything is working fine. I'm thinking of upgrading it, though, from an old athlon 64 3200 sse2 processor to a newer 64 x2 4400 processor. Same a8n-sli deluxe board and everything, just new processor. Should I expect everything to work fine with all the same settings or do I need to change something before upgrading? Thanks, Matt

I think you may have to replace the kernel. That one you have is for SSE2 only.

You could use the 8.8.1 (SSE3) kernel by semthex (Dont know the exact relase date), or update to 10.4.9 + 8.9.1 kernel....

some guides here or here

As far as I know, you should be fine with that kernel. I believe that is Beta 9, and includes both the SSE2 and SSE3 instruction set capabilities.

Stevo

In regards to blackchungo's post,

I might be wrong, as I was never into the kernel development or all that close to the process, but I believe all kernels that include a SSE2 functionality will work properly on a machine that has SSE3 capabilities. I was told that the later Betas included a check in the kernel for what the CPU was capable of. If the CPU was SSE2 and SSE3 capable, it would run the instructions natively. However, if the CPU was only SSE2 capable it would run the SSE2 instructions natively and then run the SSE3 instructions through the emulator based on the SSE2 instructions. All SSE2 capable kernels are merely the standard SSE3 kernel with an emulator included for the SSE2 instruction set. If the emulator isn't needed, it won't use it.

Additionally, even if that were not the case, all SSE3 CPUs also include the SSE2 instruction set. Therefore, if it did not automatically detect and use the SSE3 instruction set natively, it would continue to use SSE3 emulation via the SSE2 instruction set.

Either way it should boot fine. Once upgraded you'll see the CPU capabilities detected in the About This Mac window. However, if I'm wrong on this point I am more than willing to be corrected. I just don't believe that SSE2 capable kernels exclusively emulate SSE3 instructions.

Stevo